A 14-year-old girl has died and another, aged 13, has been seriously injured after they were attacked by a man with a knife while walking to school in southern Germany.
Police say the suspect came out of a refugee shelter in the village of Illerkirchberg on Monday morning and attacked the pupils.
The older girl later died in hospital.
German police have arrested a 27-year-old man, who they say is an asylum seeker from Eritrea.
Officers searched a nearby building and found him with a knife they suspect was used in the attack. Two other men were also detained.
The suspect is under police guard in hospital where he’s being treated for an unspecified injury.
In a statement, police urged the public not to use the incident to stoke suspicion of foreigners or asylum seekers.
“Everything connected to this is completely unclear so far,” police spokesman Wolfgang Juergens told reporters.
The 13-year-old girl is recovering from her injuries, which are not life threatening, local media reported.
Illerkirchberg is a small town with a population of less than 5,000 according to the 2015 census.
Mayor Markus Haeussler said everyone in the town was in shock.
Germany’s interior minister Nancy Faeser said the “terrible news” had shaken her.
“I mourn the girl who was killed and sincerely hope that the injured girl will recover… The police are investigating all the backgrounds with intensity,” she wrote on Twitter (in German).
- Ablakwa kicks court writ on the ground upon service by bailiff
- GRA withdraws $672m back-tax demand from MTN Group
- Ebenezer Kojo Kum resigns as Chieftaincy Minister
- I kicked out 6 social media influencers from set – Yvonne Nelson reveals
- I did national service in Aliu Mahama’s office despite being NDC member – Sam George
- University of Ghana VC must go – Concerned students demand
- Ghana Gas signs US$700m deal for second gas processing plant
- The Catholic pilgrims who walked 9 days to see Pope Francis
- We are not concerned about tradability of our bonds – Martin Kpebu replies Finance Ministry
- I don’t want the President’s hand in investigating Bawku killings – Ayariga
- Tamale North MP blames Ghanaian culture partly for high level of corruption
- Chelsea: ‘Why no striker?’ – ‘patience’ needed at ‘toothless’ Blues
- Crystal Palace manager Patrick Vieira ‘troubled’ by lack of black managers
- Sixth officer fired after death of Tyre Nichols
- Reality zone with Vicky Wireko: Laughing gas; beware, be alert
- Akufo-Addo is not interested in funding OSP – Martin Kpebu
- Kingpin in ‘School Placement for Sale’ used to work at Education Ministry canteen – Kwasi Kwarteng
- Even vociferous Sammy Gyamfi believes in Alan Kyerematen – Catherine Afeku
- All you need to know about the Gold for Oil programme
- Former NSMQ ‘shark’ now lives in pain due to Bipolar disorder, needs help
- Gates Ag One supports project developing Africa’s self-fertilising crops with $35m
- Martin Kpebu recalls 18 unfulfilled promises by Akufo-Addo
- People are losing trust in government due to corruption – GII
- We steal and waste more than twice what we borrow – Kofi Bentil
- Alan admits worsening economic conditions will affect NPP’s chances in 2024 general elections