Audio By Carbonatix
A 14-year-old girl has died and another, aged 13, has been seriously injured after they were attacked by a man with a knife while walking to school in southern Germany.
Police say the suspect came out of a refugee shelter in the village of Illerkirchberg on Monday morning and attacked the pupils.
The older girl later died in hospital.
German police have arrested a 27-year-old man, who they say is an asylum seeker from Eritrea.
Officers searched a nearby building and found him with a knife they suspect was used in the attack. Two other men were also detained.
The suspect is under police guard in hospital where he's being treated for an unspecified injury.
In a statement, police urged the public not to use the incident to stoke suspicion of foreigners or asylum seekers.
"Everything connected to this is completely unclear so far," police spokesman Wolfgang Juergens told reporters.
The 13-year-old girl is recovering from her injuries, which are not life threatening, local media reported.
Illerkirchberg is a small town with a population of less than 5,000 according to the 2015 census.
Mayor Markus Haeussler said everyone in the town was in shock.
Germany's interior minister Nancy Faeser said the "terrible news" had shaken her.
"I mourn the girl who was killed and sincerely hope that the injured girl will recover... The police are investigating all the backgrounds with intensity," she wrote on Twitter (in German).
Latest Stories
-
NSMQ 2026: Kpando SHS brush aside Abor, Jukwa to storm One-Eighth stage with 32 point gap
12 minutes -
Duncan Amoah: Gov’t should create conditions for 24-hour economy, not build markets
17 minutes -
JoyNews-Republic Bank Habitat Fair finale turns homeownership dreams into real possibilities
51 minutes -
Bamiri chief commissions KG block, guest house to boost education and revenue
1 hour -
NSMQ 2026: Yaa Asantewaa Girls’ going ‘beck’ to Tanoso after Bishop Herman deals them early exit
2 hours -
Data Protection Commission acquires two vehicles to strengthen data protection enforcement
2 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Holy Child School storms back from two-year NSMQ absence to book One-Eighth ticket
3 hours -
GNFS dismisses reports of unpaid 2025 rent allowance
4 hours -
Gordon Asare-Bediako steps down from NPP Communications Director race, backs Dennis Aboagye
5 hours -
GES dismisses requirement for newly promoted teachers to submit documents for salary adjustments
5 hours -
Meko Bono 2026: Vice President pledges agricultural revival as Atebubu hosts grand homecoming
6 hours -
Russian skydiver Sergey Boytcov sets world record with 11,551-metre stratosphere jump
6 hours -
Ablakwa-led committee submits five reports to Mahama ahead of 2027 AU chairmanship
6 hours -
Africa not seeking Western cash in reparations campaign – Ablakwa
6 hours -
Production decline, reserve depletion threaten Ghana’s upstream sector – Jinapor
6 hours