CUTS international Ghana, an advocacy group championing consumer rights has once again bemoaned the delay in passing the Consumer Protection Law.
According to the association, the bill has gone through reviews from four presidents, yet the progress has painstakingly been slow.
CUTS International Ghana stated that it is evidently clear that the absence of Consumer Protection Law in the country has contributed to the widespread and deliberate abuse of consumer rights.
In a statement issued ahead of the World Consumer Rights Day observation on March 15, CUTS International Ghana said, whilst the government has on many occasions promised to protect Ghanaian businesses from foreign firms, nothing of that sort has been done to protect the interest of the over 30 million Ghanaians who buy and consume goods and services.
It added that it will organize a virtual event on Friday to advocate for the speedy passage of the Consumer Protection Policy and Law and also ensure consumer welfare through effective regulatory actions.
The meeting is expected to bring together, regulatory authorities, practitioners, academic experts, government representatives, development partners, business associations and consumer organizations to push for the passage of the law.
“The CUTS-UPSA World Consumer Rights Day Celebration on Friday, March 17, 2023 will be on the theme ‘Protecting the Welfare of Ghanaian Consumers in the Absence of a Functioning Consumer Protection Law”, the statement signed by CUTS, Accra West African Regional Director, Appiah Kusi Adomako said.
World Consumer Rights Day is a special occasion celebrated on March 15 every year as a means of raising global awareness about consumer rights and needs.
On the day, governments around the globe spread awareness about consumers’ rights and needs.
The day also seeks to draw attention to market malpractices, which undermine the rights of consumers and what more can be done to empower buyers.
- Akufo-Addo swears in 3 new members of Electoral Commission
- ECG disconnects power to Ho Airport, GRA over debt
- Fella Makafui reacts after Twitter user accuses her of ‘sleeping’ with Medikal’s ex-manager
- Overborrowing is one of Akufo-Addo’s biggest mistakes – Prof Adei
- ‘Western Togoland’: 5 secessionists handed 5 years in jail each
- Ludacris hangs out with Sarkodie in Ghana, fans speculate new music
- Ghana v Angola: Kingsley Schindler replaces injured Tariq Lamptey
- Cedi may record mixed performance to dollar this week
- GALLERY: Best pictures from Black Stars training at Accra Sports Stadium on Monday
- Putin says ties with Africa a priority to Moscow
- ECG mass disconnection campaign to be sustained indefinitely – Samuel Mahama
- We’ll meter all distribution transformers to fight power theft – Samuel Mahama
- Former Accra Regional Hospital Medical Director files nomination for Garu
- AFCON 2023Q: Goalpost collapses and injures Wollacott in training
- Ugandan parliament passes bill to jail gay people
- Ghana’s economy is still afloat because of Alan Kyerematen’s vision – Buaben Asamoah
- Intimidation of journalists is on the rise – Kweku Andoh Awotwi
- I have already won Ayawaso West Wuogon NDC primaries – Fred Nuamah
- Playback: One-one-on with Managing Director of ECG on PM Express
- EC has become an annex of the NPP – Sammy Gyamfi
- If you move right, you don’t need 10 shows to be okay – Kelvyn Boy
- Akufo-Addo is packing EC with known NPP members – Kofi Adams
- 3 JoyNews journalists win big at Merck Foundation 2022 Media Recognition Awards
- I want to be President to build a new Ghana –Kwaku Kobeah
- Essence of marketing is creation of strong brands – Nsarkoh