Demand for dollars continued to ease as the Bank of Ghana sold only $9.2 million on the spot market last week (January 30 – February 3, 2023).
Analysts and Market watchers believe the progress made by government on the Domestic Debt Exchange Programme (DDEP) will positively improve investor confidence in the economy, boosting the outlook of the cedi.
The deadline for the programme is expected to end today February 7, 2023. All things being equal, the attainment of the 80% subscription target will enhance the outlook of the cedi for the rest of the year.
The local currency gained across the major trading currencies last week (January 30 – February 3, 2023) as many businesses and individuals reduce their demand for the American currency.
The cedi gained 3.1% week-on-week against the US dollar, 1.64% vs GBP and 2.26% to the euro on the forex market last week. A week before, it improved in value by about 0.78% against the American ‘greenback’.
The local currency depreciated by about 38.8% to the American greenback in 2022, according to Bloomberg.
It began the year going for ¢11.60.
However, it lost about 19% in value to the US dollar, the Bank of Ghana stated in its January 2023 Summary of Economic and Financial Data.
- 3 die, 8 go blind as FDA cautions against certain eyedrop brands
- Parliament approves all six ministerial nominees
- Get financing assurances from creditors, partners before Board approval – IMF to Ghana
- Minority MPs oppose approval of 2 Supreme Court Justice nominees
- Playback: MPs voting on approval of Akufo-Addo’s ministerial appointees
- Akufo-Addo laughs over Volta Regional Minister’s new nickname- ‘Triple 66’
- AFCON 2023Q: Benching Andre Ayew was my choice – Chris Hughton
- ‘I’ll direct that your hand be cut off one day’ – Speaker teases Afenyo-Markin
- We’ve had positive talks with China over $1.7bn debt – Finance Minister
- 2023 AFCONQ: Ghana 1-0 Angola: Player Ratings – Partey shines, Mensah struggles
- U23 AFCON 2023Q: Black Meteors held to 1-1 draw in Algeria
- Principal fired after Florida students shown Michelangelo statue
- Vatican returns Parthenon sculptures to Greece
- Chad nationalises assets belonging to Exxon Mobile
- NPP Bono Regional Organizer supports TESCON with 200k
- Mbappe scores in France heavy win over Netherlands
- This woman left her AirPods on a plane. She tracked them to an airport worker’s home
- Cedi depreciates by 22.1% in March 2023 – BoG
- I am not ready to die – Bagbin says as he calls for adjournment of prolonged sitting
- Ghana’s debt unchanged at ¢575.7bn – BoG
- Government makes additional payment for outstanding coupons
- Speaker congratulates approved ministerial nominees
- Playback: One-on-one with Prof Ofori Birikorang on PM Express
- This Saturday on Newsfile
- 1.4 million tons of food are lost annually along the food chain