Audio By Carbonatix
Novak Djokovic has played down the absence of perennial rivals Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer.
Holder Nadal pulled out earlier this month due to novel coronavirus-related issues surrounding the August 31-September 13 tournament at Flushing Meadows, while Federer will miss the rest of the season after having knee surgery in June.
Apart from their absence, with Federer boasting a record 20 major titles ahead of Nadal on 19, 2016 winner Stan Wawrinka has also pulled out but Djokovic noted that it would still be a very strong field featuring a pack of talented rivals.
"It's bound to be weird that Federer and Nadal aren't here..." Djokovic said ahead of the curtain-raising August 22-28 Western & Southern Open in New York.
"They will be missed, no doubt, because they are legends of our sport. But apart from Federer, Nadal and Wawrinka, all the best players are there.
"It would be disrespectful to all the other players to say that I have a better chance without Roger and Rafa. (Dominic) Thiem, (Alexander) Zverev, (Stefanos) Tsitsipas, (Daniil)Medvedev, these guys are as strong as the three of us.
Djokovic's decision to enter the US Open represents a U-turn to his June statements that competing at the 2020 US Open would be "impossible" due to “extreme” Covid-19 protocols.
While the other players are staying in two hotels, the 33-year-old Serb chose to rent a house for the tournament because of what he described as a more comfortable environment.
"I was informed of this rental opportunity and I did not consider any other option to come here," he said.
"I am grateful that I can afford it to myself and be able to go out, have a garden, peace and quiet. With the trees and serenity, being in this kind of environment is a blessing.
"But, still, we are part of the bubble, as four people control the two entrances to the house so we cannot go out without them seeing us."
Djokovic was in imperious form before the season was thrown into chaos in March by the novel coronavirus pandemic, having won the Australian Open in January and Dubai Open in February.
During the break forced by the virus, Djokovic organised the ill-fated Adria Tour in June, an exhibition tournament in which he and three other players contracted Covid-19 as the event was devoid of social distancing measures.
Having recovered after two weeks in self-isolation, Djokovic resumed training and suggested he was fit to face the exertions of the gruelling U.S. Open on his favourite hardcourt surface.
"I’ve done a CT scan of my chest and OK, everything is clear. I’ve done several tests since my negative test for the coronavirus as well before coming to New York.
"I’ve done my blood tests, my urine tests, my stool tests, everything that I possibly can."
Latest Stories
-
Traders raise fresh concerns over stalled Takoradi Market Circle redevelopment project
9 minutes -
Lovebirds in NDC politics? Dafeamekpor’s birthday message to Ebi Bright sets social media ablaze
10 minutes -
NPP petitions diplomatic community over alleged political persecution and democratic backsliding
18 minutes -
Multimedia Group ramps up planning for 2026 Hitz FM ReP Ur Jersey experience
20 minutes -
Rent Control Department freezes student hostel fee increases for 2026/2027 academic year
26 minutes -
World Aquatics warns Ghana Sports Ministry over interference in Swimming Federation
34 minutes -
CDD-Ghana welcomes Supreme Court decision to admit 14 CSOs in OSP constitutionality case
34 minutes -
Lands Minister Kofi Buah touts Ghana’s superior forest management credentials at UN
56 minutes -
Dubai Chamber leads 19 companies on trade mission to Ghana as non-oil trade hits AED39.6bn
1 hour -
Supreme Court admits Methodist Church Trustees in controversial Wesley Girls’ SHS case
1 hour -
Aflao Traditional Council opposes relocation of High Court
1 hour -
NADMO clears fallen tree at Ataala Junction after heavy rainfall
1 hour -
PBC secures GH₵30m financing facility to pay cocoa farmers
1 hour -
PAC disappointed over neglect of Ghana’s New York Mission building
2 hours -
Mighty Minority ready to take on NDC in 2028 – Annoh-Dompreh
2 hours