Audio By Carbonatix
Democratic Republic of Congo's government said at least 129 people were killed while trying to escape from the central Makala prison in the capital Kinshasa early on Monday, adding that the situation was now under control.
In a statement posted on X early on Tuesday, Interior Minister Shabani Lukoo said a fire had also broken out in the jail's administrative building, its food depots and a hospital. Some 59 people were wounded, he added.
"The mass escape attempt at Makala Central Prison resulted in the loss of life and significant material damage," he said in the video statement.
Earlier, a prison official had said no prisoners had succeeded in escaping, adding that those who tried to escape had been killed. The government was investigating the incident.
The break out attempt occurred around 2:00 a.m. (0100 GMT) on Monday. Prisoners told Reuters they had heard heavy gunfire, as well as sounds of prisoners outside.
Latest Stories
-
Women bear the heaviest burden after climate disasters – GreenFaith Africa
15 minutes -
APN calls for urgent mobile money interoperability across Africa
22 minutes -
Portugal’s Ronaldo set for record sixth World Cup
25 minutes -
Cedi depreciates by 8.4% against dollar in interbank market
32 minutes -
Arsenal are 2025/26 EPL champions after Man City draw at Bournemouth
43 minutes -
CSOs will bring new dimensions to OSP constitutionality case – Justice Abdulai
47 minutes -
Ghana’s pubic debt hits GH¢674.1bn as of February 2026
51 minutes -
Mamprugu king accuses security agencies of abuse, demands justice over death of Mamprusi youth
1 hour -
Ghana has not exited IMF, PCI is a new three-year deal – Oppong Nkrumah
1 hour -
Health Ministry issues Ebola alert after WHO declares global public health emergency
1 hour -
Asiedu Nketia enskinned as Kashentengwura in Bole
2 hours -
Ghana secures $40m diaspora investment fund as entry point for Africa growth push in Atlanta Dialogue
2 hours -
Abronye DC case: Detention doesn’t take away right to healthcare – Martin Kpebu
2 hours -
German-born Ghanaian youngster Jason Osei-Tutu joins Greuther Fürth ahead of 2026/27 season
2 hours -
Health Ministry opens admissions for 2026/2027 public health training institutions
2 hours