Audio By Carbonatix
Drivers and passengers who ply the Benchemaa to Adjoafua road in the Western North Region have appealed to the authorities to repair the deteriorated portions of the road to ensure accessibility.
The road, situated at a strategically important cocoa and timber production area in the region, is also a major link road from Ghana to Côte d’Ivoire through Oseikojokrom in the Bia West District.
Vice President Dr Mahamudu Bawumia, on December 20, 2019, cut the sod for the construction of the 38-km road, which was scheduled to be completed within 28 calendar months.
The construction works, among other things, were intended to upgrade the road from an unpaved one to a double bituminous surface area.
However, checks by the Ghana News Agency (GNA) revealed that Messers Amandi Investment Limited, the construction firm working on the road, had packed all its machines from the site, abandoning work midway.
Some drivers the GNA spoke with lauded the Government for work done so far, as their travelling hours had reduced, but said the deplorable portions had destroyed its beauty and called on the authorities for repairs.
Some passengers said they sometimes had to alight and walk for about 100- meters before rejoining their vehicles because of the deplorable nature of the road, a development they described as worrying.
Mr Justice Addai, the Project Engineer, said the company was aware of the situation but they could not immediately move in for maintenance works due to outstanding payments owed to the company.
Mr Godfred Kwabena Agyei Asante, the Juaboso District Chief Executive, said he had reported the issue to the Regional Minister who had also arranged with the Regional Highways Department to fix the problem within the shortest possible time.
Latest Stories
-
Ghana’s mining deaths fall sharply, but Chamber insists ‘three deaths are too many’
1 hour -
Tatale Sanguli officials destroy expired food products, warn traders
1 hour -
Police arrest two watchmen over alleged defilement of 14-year-old student
2 hours -
The woman behind General Mosquito: Could Ghana be meeting its next First Lady?
2 hours -
Court remands man over alleged Labone bank robbery attempt
2 hours -
Supreme Court to rule on injunction application on legal vacation today
2 hours -
Tamale Metropolitan Assembly distributes 10,000 bags of fertiliser to farmers
2 hours -
TUSAAG suspends strike, resumes work after renewed talks with government
2 hours -
PIAC marks 15 years of oil revenue accountability and transparency
2 hours -
Adongo calls for non-political interference in $1.46bn Heritage Fund review
2 hours -
FDA records GH¢70m surplus in 2025 amid concerns over ageing lab equipment
2 hours -
Arise Ghana demands stronger commitment to end galamsey
2 hours -
96% of Ghanaian pensioners willing to work beyond retirement age – Study
2 hours -
Ghana gets nuclear power plant simulator
2 hours -
Temporary Akosombo power control facility to be ready by September – Energy Ministry
2 hours