The Evangelical Presbyterian (E.P) College of Education located in Amedzorpe in the Ho West District of the Volta Region has for decades since inception, lacked any major facelift with the exception of a library and a classroom block. 

The Principal of the E.P College of Education, Dr Dickson Tsey at the commissioning of the first-ever Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG) installation at the college by PPMC, lamented on the deplorable condition of most of the buildings since the Germans built the school in 1946.

E.P College of Education in dire needs of infrastructure - Principal

According to Dr Dickson Tsey, the ancient female hostel is on the verge of collapse due to its deplorable nature adding that there is a four-storey female building that has been at the foundation level for more than seven years without any efforts by authorities to continue with the project.

Dr Tsey noted that the completion of the female hostel would bring great relief to the management and the students and would also help improve on teaching and learning.

E.P College of Education in dire needs of infrastructure - Principal

“We humbly appeal to government, institutions to come to the aid of the college in fixing several challenges confronting the school especially the deplorable female hostel which is a great worry to the college,” Dr Tsey pleaded.

Dr Dickson Tsey also noted that the college lacks a modern administration block with offices, renovation of the science block as well as re-equipping the science lab among many other challenges faced by the college that needs immediate attention.

Some students who spoke with JoyNews said it would be a thing of joy to see the college transformed to a modern status with modern facilities especially the completion of the female hostel which has been abandoned for more than seven years now.

E.P College of Education in dire needs of infrastructure - Principal

The E.P College of Education [AMECO] is set to celebrate its 75th anniversary but with several challenges that needs government attention. 

AMECO was opened on February 10, 1946, with the motto: ‘Education for Service”.

The founding fathers of the College were Mr. W.M. Beveridge, a Scottish missionary, Rev. C.G.Baeta, Rev. R.S. Kwami, Mr. Winfred Addo, Rev. McMillian and Mr. Tom Barton.

Members of the teaching staff in 1946 were Mrs. Isa S. Beveridge, Mr. V.O. Anku, Mr. R.Y. Gletsu and Mr. S.K. Agbley.[5] 

The vision of the College is to position itself to become a reputable College in teacher education and to be a pacesetter in Information Communication Technology education.

The College was established with the admission of 30 men. Rev. W.M. Beveridge, was the first principal of the College.

In January 1950, the College became a co-educational institution, when it admitted its first batch of 20 female students.

AMECO has followed prescribed courses to meet the teacher needs of the country for basic education.