The National Democratic Congress (NDC), has suggested that Chairpersons of the Electoral Commission (EC) must be appointed after Parliament has approved their nominations.
Currently, the appointment of the Chairperson of the EC, is in accordance with the provisions of Article 70 (2) of the 1992 Constitution, which states that, “the President shall, acting on the advice of the Council of State, appoint the Chairman, Deputy Chairmen, and other members of the Electoral Commission.”
According to the NDC, this mode of appointment is susceptible to partisan influences.
The proposal forms part of the over 30 recommendations for electoral reforms announced by the NDC recently.
The party fears that without parliamentary intervention, candidates appointed may not be qualified to meet the EC’s critical requirements which are; independence, neutrality, credibility, transparency and competence. The NDC believes that these values cannot be compromised.
The Party, therefore, stated that in appointing individuals to such a vital public position, those elected to represent the interest of the people must approve of them, “the Chairperson of EC who also serves as Returning Officer of the presidential election must not be solely appointed by the President, who is often a candidate.”
The NDC further noted that the Constitution Review Commission (CRC), which the current EC Chairperson was a member, recommended prior parliamentary approval and the Government White Paper on the CRC Report accepted this recommendation.
- Fact-check: Did the NPP promise to build a harbour in Cape Coast?
- ‘I’m on the run until this country shows me there are laws’ – Shatta Wale
- ‘I never promised to build a harbour in Cape Coast’ – Akufo-Addo
- ‘God says we should sing a new song’ not plagiarise – Cindy Thompson to take legal actions against offenders
- A flimsy excuse should not be given for denial of a visa to MPs – Sam George calls out Netherlands Ambassador
- We’re investigating Shatta Wale’s shooting claims – Police
- I lied because people were associating me with politics – Cindy Thompson on ‘Awurade Kasa’
- Funny Face arrested after threatening to kill his baby mama and commit suicide
- Komenda Sugar Factory: Mahama constructed roof before building foundation – Akufo-Addo
- NDC Caucus begin audit of MPs refused visa to establish whether it is linked to anti-LGBTQ+
Kudus, Sowah, Addo to star as Champions League resumes
Isaac Dogboe set for Christopher Diaz challenge on November 20
Man stabs, cuts off penis of friend for taking his nude pictures
Local media not doing enough to project highlife music – Berima Amo
The Big Talent Show Week 3: Contestants dazzle fans with awesome performances in eviction-free week
Liberian President George Weah rewards taxi driver who returned $50k
Four taxi cab robbers jailed 60 years
Prince Yaw Antwi: Homeownership – To build or to buy, the dilemma of the millennial
Finance Minister must account for ¢1.26bn accrued from Price Stabilisation and Recovery Levy
LGBTQ+ Bill: I see no right in life to use ‘exits as entries’ – Mikki Osei Berko
Blackmail: Fans react as alleged intimate video of Tiwa Savage, lover surfaces
Seaweed smothering beaches along the coast of Western Region
Government will not scrap taxes and levies imposed on petroleum products – Deputy Energy Minister
Cut taxes further on petroleum price build-up – Government told
Why Samini thinks IGP won’t be laughing at Shatta Wale’s expensive joke