Ranking Member on Parliament’s Constitution and Legal Affairs Committee says the Electoral Commission (EC) has taken its independence to absurd levels which should not be allowed to continue.
Inusah Fuseini believes “parliament has overindulged the EC.”
This follows the inability of the Chairperson for the Commission, Jean Mensa to appear before the House on Thursday, November 5.
The EC was earlier invited to brief MPs on preparations towards the elections but the Commissioner couldn’t show up citing late notice.
Subsequently, the EC expressed its readiness to meet with Parliament on Saturday, November 7.
Parliamentarians are reported to have been enraged by the no-show with Minority Leader, Haruna Iddrissu demanding that the EC boss be held in contempt of Parliament.
But according the Minority Leader, Haruna Iddrissu the EC boss should be cited for contempt of Parliament.
Speaking to JoyNews on Friday Inusah Fuseini added his voice to the lamentation adding that the Commission is acting with impunity.
“They have carried their neutrality and independence to absurd levels. The people of this country have elected members of parliament to come and represent them. The people of this country want to know how you are preparing towards the December election,” he explained.
The Tamale Central Member of Parliament says this is the third time the Jean Mensah-led commission has refused an invitation from Parliament.
“You say you couldn’t come and this not the first time but all of us should prepare to receive the EC because 30 days from now we are going to an election, this election is not like any other election.”
- Police arrest man flogging toddler in viral video
- ‘Akufo-Addo must resign; he’s giving us too much headache’ – Kpebu
- Loans to become more expensive as BoG hikes policy rate to 24.5%
- Nigerian oil export terminal had theft line into sea for 9 years
- Brother stands in as groom skips wedding to train
- Nigerian singer Teni gifts SHS teacher a car
- BoG dollar auction: Demand outstrips supply by $72.2m as $1 hits ¢10.92
- Social media users impressed with Black Sherif’s ‘The Villain I Never Was’
- Government using IMF as smokescreen to force its ‘austerity budget’ on Ghanaians – Martin Amidu
- ‘Forget about votes; call Chairman Wontumi to account’ – Martin Kpebu to Akufo-Addo
- There is too much uncertainty in the business environment – Twum Akwaboah
- Deputy Energy Minister, Amin Adam, appointed Board Chairman of global oil’s New Producers Group
- Increasing monetary policy rate will not reduce inflation – Badu Aboagye
- Austerity is bad for economic growth – Prof. Charles Ackah
- The Central Bank’s policy a measure in the wrong direction – Prof. Charles Ackah
- Akosua Agyapong eulogises mom
- ‘Horrible and terrible’ – German Ambassador on illegal mining
- My vehicle was set ablaze on Samatex premises – Wontumi alleges
- FDA concurs with WHO’s caution against four substandard paediatric medicines found in The Gambia
- Livestream: PM Express business edition discusses impact of policy rate on businesses
- Gertrude Agyemang: Customer Service Week and the ECG prepaid meter challenge
- NDC has no evidence to prove my involvement in ‘galamsey’ – Ellembelle DCE
- KNUST students develop cost-effective instrument to measure temperature and light energy from the sun
- MP has been a challenge in fight against ‘galamsey’ in my district – Ellembelle DCE
- 2 women in court over alleged assault on Besease M/A JHS teacher