The Electoral Commission has justified their reasons for the compilation of a new voters’ register before the Council of State.
The EC Chairperson, Jean Mensa, took time to explain to them the technical challenges facing the old voter register as well as the high cost of maintaining it as compared to acquiring a new one.
She told the Council that the new system would be “a robust, user-friendly, cheaper and state of the art that will assist in the delivery of free, fair and credible elections in the country.”
The Information Technology Consultant of the EC, Dr Yaw Ofori Agyei, took members of the Council through an in-depth lecture justifying the reasons for the acquisition.
According to him, a report by the former vendor stated that the current system had reached its end of life and end of support thereby making it quite risky for any Election Management body to continue patronizing the equipment.
The new voters register according to the commission will save the country ¢173,077,650.
The Chairman of the Council of State, Nana Otuo Siriboe II, thanked the Commission for the comprehensive presentation.
He stated that the Council recognises the importance of the EC’s independence as stipulated in the constitution and urged its leadership to stay focused in its bid to delivering a credible election.
- 3 ECG employees charged for stealing ¢2.1m prepaid credits
- Yul Edochie and wife May lose first son
- No one from Ghana’s film industry approached me while I was here – Spike Lee
- Martin Amidu on Anas: ‘Genuine anti-corruption crusaders don’t hide behind masks’
- Power outages imminent as Ghana Gas shuts down Atuabo gas processing plant from April 1
- Parliamentary committee recommends passage of controversial Anti-LGBTQ bill
- Davido confirms he’s married to Chioma
- Political appointees at Presidency increases to 361
- Ambulance case: Court orders Ato Forson to open defence
- Ashanti NDC refutes allegations of wearing military uniforms on campaign tour
- ECG releases load shedding timetable for March 30 to April 7
- ‘God created me and he knows why I am gay’ – Ugandan
- Larabanga Accident: Level 200 student dead, 3 others in critical condition
- Chief of Mujipe shot dead, son in critical condition
- Weather information assists farmers to adapt to climate change
- Beige Bank collapse: Witness accuses Nyinaku of taking bank’s US$200,000 illegally
- Green Sports Academy wishes Isaac Dogboe well ahead of WBO featherweight title fight
- Dogboe v Ramirez – Dogboe’ s trainer chasing history
- Donald Trump indictment: Ex-US president to be charged over hush money
- WMO retires deadly cyclone Fiona and Ian from list of names
- 5 member committee investigating Kejetia Market fire starts with fact-finding mission
- UBA Ghana holds first quarter ‘Jogging To Bond’
- Playback: PM Express discuss how to restore capital market after DDEP
- Kuami Eugene offers budding musicians tips for Joy Prime’s ‘Cues & Lyrics’ audition
- Mercy Chinwo threatens musician with ₦2bn lawsuit after he used her name in song