A Kumasi High Court has granted bail to two of three accused persons standing trial for the murder of social media activist, Ibrahim Mohammed, also known as Kaaka Macho.
It followed a bail application filed by Tapha Tassah, counsel for Issakar Ibrahim, also known as Anyars and Fuseini Alhassan on Thursday. The two were not present in court.
The accused are to satisfy a bail bond of GH70,000 each with two sureties each and landed properties to be justified.
Despite being granted bail, the two are yet to regain their freedom because they are yet to meet the bail bond.
The two known New Patriotic Party Polling Station Executives, and a third accused person, Mohammed Iddi, who is a brother of the late activist, have been on remand over the last 9-months following their arrest in June last year.
Issakar Ibrahim, also known as Anyars, a ticket seller and Fuseini Alhassan, a butcher, were arrested after some irate youth of Ejura attacked them following the death of social media activist, Kaaka Macho after 3-days of admission at the Komfo Anokye Hospital.
The High Court decision comes at a time family of the late activist expressed frustrations over the delays in adjudication of the case at the Asokwa District Court.
The case has been adjourned on several occasions, with the latest on March 8, 2022 as accused persons and prosecutors failed to show up in court.
The court subsequently adjourned the hearing to March 22, 2022.
“The family is not taking it easy at all because of the series of adjournments. We have been following the case.
“This case, the 14th time we have been in court; taking into consideration the kind of stress, the kind of psychological problem we have been going through as a result of the loss of a brother and one being arrested,” Mr. Rabbiu Mohammed, a family spokesperson told JoyNews.
Reacting to the latest development, the family of Iddi Mohammed expressed shock over the bail granted the two accused persons.
The family awaits advice from their lawyers on the next line of action.
The death of Kaaka Macho sparked clashes leading to the killing of two others in Ejura.
- Review e-levy rate to 0.5% with ¢300 daily threshold – Minority tells government
- Government’s ban on use of V8s in Accra, a mere sloganeering – Dr Theo Acheampong
- MPs converge at Volta Serene Hotel for post-budget workshop
- One arrested, others on the run after allegedly murdering police officer
- After 5 years of repackaging, Skuuls Reunion returns today at El Wak Stadium
- Photos and videos: HITZ FM Skuuls Reunion underway at El Wak Sports Stadium
- Indonesian woman’s body found inside python, say reports
- Government must be commended for reducing e-levy rate – John Kumah
- Sights and sounds: ‘Jama’ session, exciting skaters kick-start Hitz Old Skuuls Reunion
- Ghana is not serious about social progression and inclusivity – Prof. Bokpin
- British Council urges student’s under IAU Programme to become good entrepreneurs
- LUV FM’s morning show team distributes about 1,000 pieces of sanitary pads to needy girls
- Photos and videos: Artistes thrill patrons at HITZ Skuuls Reunion
- Mbappe scores twice as France reach knockout stage
- Messi scores in vital Argentina win over Mexico
- Tullow Ghana reaffirms commitment to grow indigenous capacities
- Ghana’s 2023 Budget: A Missed Opportunity
- I hope Afriyie Barnieh will be used in one of the games at the World Cup – Hearts of Oak General Manager
- VP Bawumia launches $450m Gulf of Guinea Social Cohesion Project
- Gov’t promises more support to Ghana Police
- BoG pegs cedi depreciation to dollar at 54%
- Ghana’s reserves fall to 2.9 months of import cover in October 2022; trade surplus hits $1.87bn
- Average lending rate hits 31.40% in October 2022 – BoG
- Lynx Entertainment unveils kids sensation Afrapa
- Ghana’s economic difficulties have forced me to eat more ‘gari and beans’ – Fameye