Audio By Carbonatix
Billionaire Elon Musk has said his time leading President Donald Trump's cost-cutting task force is coming "to an end".
In a post on his social media platform X, Musk thanked Trump for the opportunity to help run the Department of Government Efficiency - known as Doge.
He was designated as a "special government employee" - allowing him to work a federal job for 130 days each year. Measured from Trump's inauguration on 20 January, he would hit that limit towards the end of May.
Musk's exit comes after he criticised Trump's "big, beautiful" budget bill - the legislative centrepiece of the president's agenda.
"As my scheduled time as a Special Government Employee comes to an end, I would like to thank President @realDonaldTrump for the opportunity to reduce wasteful spending," Musk wrote on X.
"The @DOGE mission will only strengthen over time as it becomes a way of life throughout the government."
The BBC understands that the White House will begin "offboarding" Musk as a special government employee on Wednesday night.
Musk's exit comes after he said he was "disappointed" with Trump's budget, which proposes multi-trillion dollar tax breaks and a boost to defence spending.
The SpaceX and Tesla boss said in an interview with BBC's US partner CBS that the bill would increase the federal deficit, adding that he thought it "undermines the work" being done at Doge.
The Republican megadonor's departure caps a tumultuous foray into politics that transformed him into one of Trump's closest advisers and saw plunging profits at his electric car company.
Tesla recently warned investors that the financial pain could continue, declining to offer a growth forecast while saying "changing political sentiment" could meaningfully hurt demand for the vehicles.
Musk told investors on an earnings call last month that the time he allocates to Doge "will drop significantly" and that he would be "allocating far more of my time to Tesla".
Latest Stories
-
NITA defends ICT fees, rejects claims of ‘digital coup’
34 minutes -
“Put people first” – Vice-President tells global financial giants at ACI Congress
1 hour -
Vice-President commissions 100 new Metro Mass buses
2 hours -
“You do not need my permission” – Bagbin clears misconception over arresting MPs
2 hours -
Ice baths, almond milk, meditation and a ‘house like a hospital’: The secrets of Salah’s success
2 hours -
This Saturday on Prime Insight: GN Savings and Loans licence restoration and the Abronye bail debate
4 hours -
Putin vows retaliation after accusing Ukraine of hitting student dormitory
4 hours -
2026 ACI World Congress: In Accra, a quiet reframe of how emerging markets see themselves
4 hours -
No break-in, no theft at Ashaiman showroom – Hisense Ghana clarifies
4 hours -
This Saturday on Newsfile: Attack on free speech and return of GN Bank
5 hours -
Opinion: The evidence before High Court continues to expose weakness of the Republic’s case against Wontumi
5 hours -
Ebola risk raised to ‘very high’ in DR Congo
5 hours -
I recommended Haruna and Muntaka for ministerial roles — Asiedu Nketia
5 hours -
The Cost of Macroeconomic Stabilization: An Analysis of the Bank ofGhana’s 2025 Financial Deficit
6 hours -
Isaac Nlason elected SRC President of the Ghana School of Law
6 hours