The Criminal Investigations Department (CID) of the Ghana Police Service in Ashanti have finally completed investigations into the case in which two suspected armed robbers are alleged to have shot and killed the former Ashanti Regional Chairman of the Ghana Journalists Association (GJA), Mr Samuel Best Ennin, on February 9, 2007.

This comes after nearly eight months of examination of the facts of the case.

The police would not give details of the investigations but said the suspects, Kwame Ayew, alias Red, and Sheriff Kabore, both 27, could face trial very soon.

According to a police source who spoke to the Daily Graphic, the dockets on the case had been forwarded to the Attorney General’s Office for advice.

The suspects were alleged to have attacked Ennin at a drinking spot in Kumasi and after robbing him of an unspecified amount of money, they shot him and fled in a white saloon car.

Barely a week after his alleged involvement in Ermin’s death, Ayew was alleged to have again attacked an Accra based businessman at Sepe, a Kumasi suburb, and made away with an unspecified amount of money and other valuables, including a laptop and some vital documents.
Ayew fled into hiding at Gbilenga, near Sandema in the Upper East Region.

However, intensive police investigations led to his arrest from his hideout on February 20, 2007 and a number of items, including a powerful motorbike, cartridges, illegal weapons and mobile phones, were retrieved from him.

After his arrest, Ayew was prosecuted for attacking and robbing the Accra-based businessman and sentenced to a 21-year prison term in hard labour, while he still assisted the police in their investigations into his involvement in Ennin’s murder.

It was during further investigations that his accomplice, Sheriff, was arrested in Kumasi on March 29, this year while he was on board a Tamale-bound vehicle.

On February 9, 2007, while Ennin was relaxing at a drinking spot with friends at the Libera Drinking Spot in Kumasi, two armed men in a white car arrived at the spot and started firing sporadically.

They collected a number of mobile phones from some of the people at the spot before firing at Ennin’s mid-section and neck, causing him to bleed profusely.

He died at the Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital a few hours after he had been rushed there for medical care.

Source: Daily Graphic