The Accra Region Police Command has arrested one person suspected to have used pepper spray, during the Shatta-Stonebwoy brawl at the 20th anniversary of the Vodafone Ghana Music Awards.
Speaking to Joy News, the Director of Operations at the Command, Assistant Commissioner of Police, Kwasi Ofori, said the pepper spray could have demobilised everybody in the hall, including the police hence his arrest.
“That one is a very dangerous thing. In such occurrences we are professionals and need to avoid stamped or using force,” he explained.
A brawl erupted between Stonebwoy and Shatta Wale camps at the 20th anniversary of the Vodafone Ghana Music Awards, Sunday, after the former was announced the winner of ‘Reggae/Dancehall Artiste of the Year’ for the fifth time.
Just when Stonebwoy was about to deliver his acceptance speech for the award, Shatta Wale started walking to him on stage, unclear what his intentions were.
Just as he approached the stage, blows started flying between Stonebwoy’s entourage and Shatta Wale’s team.
Police and security personnel could be seen rushing to stage to prevent the brawl from escalating.
Stonebwoy pulled out a gun on stage during the scuffle as some of his team members tried to shield the gun.
The fight disrupted the Awards for almost 30 minutes. Some guests, including actress Jackie Appiah, rushed out of the venue.
Detailing what happened, Joy News’ MzGee said, gunshots were fired in the air although it was unclear from who.
Some people were disappointed in the security for not being swift.
“I blame the security, you are here to work you don't need to allow anybody or whatever that had to happen on the stage because at the top there you guys had to take charge of things,” one man told Joy News.
ACP Kwasi Ofori said he believes the actions of the police during the breakout, was right and in line with contemporary policing.
Watch video of the fight below:
Have your say
More Entertainment Headlines
- Video: I won't invite 'people' to my wedding – Lilwin
- Steve Bedi to headline PAMA Festival 2019
- Ben Brako tops Global Music Charts with 'Shame and Scandal'
- Bible isn't against Marijuana, stop preaching against it – Rev. Abbeam
- Burna Boy deserved his BET award – Davido
- Cardi B pleads not guilty to assault
- Michelle Obama and Stephen Fry help drive audiobook boom
- Unemployment cause of increased nudity - Vicky Zugah
- Consistency and not hits alone make a good artiste - eShun
- Video: ‘I cannot say Medikal is a fraud boy’ - Strongman
- Don’t marry a woman who cannot cook – Kwesi Arthur's dad to son
- Partnering musicians as a producer is key – Jayso
- First edition of Miss United Continents, Ghana launched
- David Bolton releases visuals for ‘Odo Fofro’ featuring Samini
- Nominees for 2019 Hospitality Awards unveiled