The Asamankese Circuit Court has sentenced a 35-year-old ex-convict to 14-years imprisonment for stealing Guinea pepper (ɛfɔm wisa) worth GH¢1,200.
The convict, Adams Danteni Shaibu will serve in hard labour.
Shaibu pleaded guilty to a charge of stealing, contrary to section 124(1) of the Criminal Offences Act 1960 (Act 29), and was sentenced on his own plea.
Police prosecutor, Sergeant Samuel Owusu said the complainant is a trader and lives at James Town whilst the accused person, is an ex-convict and tailor in Sabon Zongo, all in Asamankese.
Sergeant Owusu explained that the complainant sells Guinea pepper, but for some time now, she has been detecting theft in her storeroom.
“On June 22, at about 12:30pm, the complainant was in her room when she had a distress call from her driver that the convict had stolen one bag of the pepper which had been dried on the floor.
The prosecutor said, the complainant came out from her room after the call, and saw some men chasing Shaibu.
He told the court presided by His Honour Ababakari Abass that they arrested him few meters away from the complainant’s house and handed him over to the Police.
After investigation, he was charged and arraigned before court for prosecution.
- Peter Nanfuri’s name will be written in gold in Ghana’s history – Akufo-Addo eulogizes former IGP
- Supreme Court dismisses land ownership claim by Teshie family
- Playback: Akufo-Addo addressed Ghanaians on Covid-19, IMF
- Independent Power Producers reject government bid to restructure $1.58bn debt
- ‘This too has passed’ – Akufo-Addo on Covid-19 pandemic
- IMF bailout won’t immediately end Ghana’s difficulties – Akufo-Addo
- Attorney General asks Speaker to declare Assin North seat vacant
- Cattle and sheep easier to control than Nigerians – Buhari
- Legon Cities drag Hearts of Oak into relegation dogfight
- Let’s unite to remove E-levy, Covid-19 levy – Ablakwa urges MPs
- Eastern Region: FDA steps up training for packaged water producers
- Renowned Economist Dr. Joe Abbey is dead
- UK Minister commits to supporting green finance across Africa
- Cues and Lyrics: TM Musiq adjudged judges’ favourite; Udiene goes home
- Prohibition of dividend payments by banks could last for 2 years – Senior Finance Lecturer
- ‘Let’s deepen TVET training to create employment’ – Ignatius Baffour Awuah
- Ghana branded ambulance found in Dubai in viral video not for sale – National Ambulance Service
- JUSAG suspends strike for 2 weeks
- ‘Kyenkyen bi adi me awu’; one of Ghana’s most sampled songs
- MTN proposes new shares in dividend payment to shareholders for 2022 profits
- NPP flagbearer race: Ignore the sponsored polls – Afriyie Akoto to his supporters
- Burna Boy performs with Black Sherif at Afro Nation Miami
- Ghanaians should not have any huge expectations of President Akufo-Addo – Haruna Iddrisu
- Brig. Gen. Dan Frimpong (Rtd): I am going to prison on Wednesday!
- Pursue aggressive fiscal reforms in the 2023 mid-year budget – Terkper to government