Audio By Carbonatix
The FA has confirmed that Fabio Capello has resigned from his post as England manager with immediate effect.
The Italian, whose reign was set to end after Euro 2012, had been angered by the FA’s decision to step in and remove John Terry as the national team’s captain, making comments on TV in Italy declaring his displeasure at the move.
Terry had been stripped of his captaincy due to his ongoing trial for allegedly racially abusing QPR’s Anton Ferdinand and after a meeting with the FA’s chairman David Bernstein and general secretary Alex Horne on Wednesday, he felt it was time to end his tenure prematurely.
A statement on the FA’s official website read: “The Football Association can confirm that Fabio Capello has today resigned as England Manager.
“This follows a meeting involving FA Chairman David Bernstein, FA General Secretary Alex Horne and Fabio Capello at Wembley Stadium.
“The discussions focused on The FA Board’s decision to remove the England team captaincy from John Terry, and Fabio Capello’s response through an Italian broadcast interview.
“In a meeting for over an hour, Fabio’s resignation was accepted and he will leave the post of England Manager with immediate effect.”
Despite the bitter end to Capello’s time as England manager, Bernstein moved to thank the former AC Milan and Real Madrid boss for his efforts and professionalism while at the helm, wishing him well for the future.
“I would like to stress that during today’s meeting and throughout his time as England Manager, Fabio has conducted himself in an extremely professional manner. We have accepted Fabio’s resignation, agreeing this is the right decision," he said.
“We would like to thank Fabio for his work with the England team and wish him every success in the future.”
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Toxic exposure from galamsey puts elderly at greater risk of kidney damage — Public health expert
23 minutes -
Big talk, small receipts: the politics of promises and policy
24 minutes -
Mahama says Ghana will reduce 70% medicine import dependence under five-year plan
27 minutes -
Study reveals high rate of uropathogens among Ghanaian elderly
29 minutes -
Christabel wins first Star Chef title as Big Chef Season 5 begins
29 minutes -
Tanker drivers begin three-day strike over alleged fuel measurement inaccuracies at BOST Kumasi
31 minutes -
Trump says US to reduce military drills with South Korea after it stayed out of Iran war
32 minutes -
Greater Manchester NDC UK branch elects new executives
33 minutes -
Ghana’s anti-corruption fight has stagnated— Transparency International
38 minutes -
UMB, ORC partner to make business registration easier for entrepreneurs
41 minutes -
Cedi is ‘long overdue for a refresh’ – Mahama
44 minutes -
GenCED urges NPP to extend 50% nomination fee reduction to women, youth and PWDs
48 minutes -
The source of cedi appreciation matters more than the appreciation itself
55 minutes -
Ashanti cocoa farmers welcome new COCOBOD Bill, back key reforms
59 minutes -
‘GoldBod is a very big scandal awaiting us’ – Afenyo-Markin
59 minutes