A French police officer has been stabbed to death inside her police station and her attacker shot and killed nearby, authorities have said.
A police source said the woman was stabbed in the throat during the attack just inside the station in Rambouillet, a town southwest of Paris home to a former royal estate.
The identity of the attacker or the motive behind the assault is not immediately clear, a national police spokesperson told Associated Press news agency.
The police officer was an administrative employee in the station, the spokesperson said.
Investigators were looking into whether there might have been a link to terrorism, but the anti-terrorism prosecutor’s office said it was not currently involved in the investigation.
The police source said the attacker had Tunisian nationality, was in France legally and had no police record.
They added that he was not shouting Islamist slogans during the stabbing, which is often the mark of an attack by an Islamist terrorist.
France has seen deadly attacks against police in the past.
Interior minister Gerald Darmanin and other top officials were heading to the scene of the attack.
- Organised Labour rejects 18% salary increment
- “We’ve been tracking Mohammed Kudus for more than one year” – Barcelona Director
- Qatar 2022: “Kudus is currently the World Cup best player” – Prince Boateng
- Some OMCs start reducing fuel prices, GOIL down by 3.5%
- Minority welcomes government’s decision to reintroduce road toll in 2023
- Ronaldo receives $225m offer to play for Saudi Arabian club
- ‘Insulting’ Ashanti Regional NSS Boss to appear before Committee of Inquiry
- Ato Forson calls out ministers and MPs for abandoning 2023 budget to watch football in Qatar
- Government to reintroduce road toll in 2023
- 2023 Budget: TUC rejects government’s salary projection of ₵44.9m
- Dr. John Kofi Mensah retires as MD of ADB Plc
- Today’s front pages: Thursday, December 1, 2022
- Ashanti Regional NSS Director suspended for verbally abusing a nurse
- Honour roadmap for Ofori-Atta’s sacking – Disgruntled NPP MPs tell Akufo-Addo
- Insurance premiums for all category of policy holders shoot up from today
- You won’t get new loans if you don’t pay existing ones – BoG to consumers
- 2023 Budget: PwC pushes for review of VAT, other policy measures
- ADB’s loan to agric sector hits ¢1bn
- Nigeria to abolish English in junior school
- Mary Afia Kesewaa (Awo Yaa)￼
- DR Congo leader using crisis to delay polls – Kagame
- Kwesi Agyare’s art exhibition attracting patrons and influencing mindsets in the US
- Agriculture sector grew from 7.4 per cent in 2020 to 8.4 per cent in 2021 – Agric Minister
- Nigerian student Aminu Adamu Mohammed accused of defaming Aisha Buhari
- One killed in robbery attack on Bimbilla-Accra road