
Audio By Carbonatix
Morocco, which last week declined to host the African Nations Cup in January because of fears over Ebola, will host the Club World Cup next month as planned, soccer's governing body FIFA said on Thursday.
"The #ClubWC 2014 will take place in Morocco and all preparations continue as planned," FIFA said on Twitter.
The tournament, which also took place in Morocco last year, is held annually and features the champion clubs of each continent.
Real Madrid (Europe), San Lorenzo (South America), Western Sydney Wanderers (Asia), Auckland City (Oceania), Cruz Azul (CONCACAF) and Entente Seitif (Africa) will take part, plus Moghreb Athletic, who qualified as champions of hosts Morocco.
Morocco pulled out of hosting the Nations Cup because it believes thousands of travelling supporters from west Africa pose a risk and wanted a postponement of at least six months while the fight against Ebola intensified.
The virus has killed at least 4,950 people in the world's worst Ebola epidemic since the disease was identified in 1976.
Morocco had asked for a postponement of the Nations Cup but CAF said the tournament must go ahead in January and February as scheduled, and said it would name a new host in the next few days.
Latest Stories
-
Decline in petroleum revenue expected – Samuel Bekoe
2 minutes -
Beyond the Rhetoric: Reimagining Britain’s asylum and immigration framework
11 minutes -
Ghana recorded 78,909 deaths in 2025 – Local Government Minister
20 minutes -
GES secures approval for payment of salary arrears to newly recruited teachers
22 minutes -
Medical Lab Scientists appeal to government for their own regulatory council
30 minutes -
Prince Amoako Jr knocking on Black Stars door with recent performances
32 minutes -
Don’t shut down National Theatre yet – George Quaye to Creative Arts Ministry
38 minutes -
GNFS records sharp drop in fire deaths and injuries, saves over GH¢470m in property
42 minutes -
Bakers and flour users call for government support to boost local bakery industry
49 minutes -
Rawlings family consoles General Nunoo-Mensah over the loss of his wife
1 hour -
CHASS confident funding dispute will be resolved, avoiding shutdown
1 hour -
OSP ruling: Parliament cannot delegate prosecutorial powers, says Deputy Attorney-General
1 hour -
Gov’t triples monthly allowances for paramount chiefs and queen mothers — Local Gov’t Minister
1 hour -
MTN Ghana appeals for help to safeguard fibre cables amid rising cuts
1 hour -
Japan eases back tsunami warning after magnitude 7.7 quake
1 hour