Audio By Carbonatix
President Akufo-Addo has reiterated the government’s resolve to protect the country’s mineral resources.
Speaking at a gathering on Monday afternoon to commission 100 Mercury-free mining equipment named 'Gold Kacha', a technology that addresses concerns over responsible mining, President Akufo-Addo called for sustainable and responsible small-scale mining.
He said the Gold Kacha technology will ensure that mining is carried out in an efficient manner.
“It is to ensure that mining is carried out in a responsible manner as was done by our ancestors and in line with international best practices and conventions across all levels of operations. This, will in addition to helping eliminate the associated and negative practices, ensure the small-scale mining supports government's drive to optimise the earnings from mining in pursuit of progress, development and prosperity for all Ghanaians.

“When I called for a national dialogue on small scale mining, I was convinced and I am still convinced that small scale mining should and can be done sustainably and that several of our compatriots who are mining responsibly and are applying the protocols which have been established by the Minerals Commission, government will continue to support them and offer them its support,” the President said.
The President assured that the government will deploy appropriate measures to safeguard the environment.
"Let me assure you the government will not relent in its efforts to flush them out of the ecosystem. In accordance with Article 36(9) of the Constitution of the Republic, government will continue to deploy appropriate measures needed to help, protect and safeguard our national environment for posterity," he added.
Last year, a special military operation began to remove all persons and logistics involved in mining from Ghana’s water bodies.
This follows the directive of President Akufo-Addo to the Ghana Armed Forces (GAF).
A statement signed and issued by Information Minister Kojo Oppong Nkrumah, said the operation, involving 200 soldiers, started on the River Pra in the Central and Western Regions, respectively.
It is reported to be the worst affected water body.

Despite how far-reaching and biting this measure was, President Akufo-Addo said it was necessary to halt the trend of illegal mining in the country's water bodies.
"To help protect the environment we had to take far-reaching measures such as involving the Police and Military in 'Operation Halt' as well as decommissioning and demobilising machines and equipment used for illegal mining in the forest reserve and water bodies which have been designated red zones for mining.

"They were necessary to halt and reverse the trend of ever-increasing turbidity of our waters and the continuing degradation of our lands and to safeguard our environment for posterity," he noted.
Latest Stories
-
Meko Bono 2026: Vice President pledges agricultural revival as Atebubu hosts grand homecoming
47 minutes -
Russian skydiver Sergey Boytcov sets world record with 11,551-metre stratosphere jump
51 minutes -
Ablakwa-led committee submits five reports to Mahama ahead of 2027 AU chairmanship
57 minutes -
Africa not seeking Western cash in reparations campaign – Ablakwa
1 hour -
Production decline, reserve depletion threaten Ghana’s upstream sector – Jinapor
1 hour -
Surveyors caution against treating compensation disputes as professional misconduct
1 hour -
Mahama calls for AU dialogue on migration after South Africa xenophobic tensions
1 hour -
I haven’t experienced any envy in the gospel music industry — Ohemaa Mercy
3 hours -
Prayer does not solve everything — Ohemaa Mercy
3 hours -
New PURC office symbolises stronger consumer protection – Dr Jinapor
4 hours -
Rev. Wengam re-elected Assemblies of God, Ghana General Superintendent
4 hours -
Less than 20km of clearing left to connect Accra-Kumasi Expressway to Kumasi – Agbodza
4 hours -
US judge strikes down policy suspending immigrant visa processing for 75 nations
4 hours -
MCEs collecting fees from galamseyers are facilitating illegality – Ken Ashigbey
4 hours -
Developer LMI Holdings commits to completing first 700 Saglemi housing units
4 hours