Police in South Florida are looking for suspects in the fatal shooting of a three-year-old boy, who was shot and killed while celebrating his birthday in Miami-Dade County over the weekend, the victim of a drive-by shooting CBS News reported.
Elijah LaFrance was standing in the doorway of his home when a gunman, armed with semi-automatic rifles, rode by a suburban Miami house after 8 p.m. on Saturday police said in a statement.
Police said the gunman opened fire, shooting more than 60 times, hitting LaFrance. His aunt found him wounded, and he was rushed to the hospital, where he later died of his injuries.
A 21-year-old woman was also shot, police said. She is in stable condition at Aventura Hospital and expected to recover. According to CBS Miami, it was reported that the property was an Airbnb rental booked for the birthday celebration.
This was despicable. This was careless,” Detective Kevin Thelwell, who is leading the investigation, said Monday. “These were shooters, these were cowards to take the life of a three-year-old child.
“I have two sons of my own,” he added. “I can’t imagine what the parents are going through at this time. It’s total devastation. And we are asking for the community’s help. I don’t care if you heard something in the street. I need somebody to call CrimeStoppers.”
Police are offering a $15,000 reward for information about the shooter.
“We will not stop until we get all subjects that were involved in this tragedy into custody,” Thelwell said. “We owe it to the family.
In a Twitter post, the Miami-Dade Police Department said they are using all of their available resources to solve the case.
- Court of Appeal Judge to be investigated for ‘suspicious ruling’
- Ras Nene confronts Achimota Mall security for stopping his team from filming
- Ghana returns to gold top spot as output jumps 32%
- Gold for Oil policy cornering BDCs – Dr. Ofori
- Tourists watch Russian man get devoured by shark on Egypt beach
- The Multimedia Group’s Lead Camera Technician, Modestus Zame laid to rest
- 2022/23 GPL final day: Medeama and Bechem title tug of war, Hearts of Oak’s relegation threat
- Playback: Burial service of The Multimedia Group’s Lead Camera Technician Modestus Zame
- Minority warns against turning Green Ghana Day events into corruption schemes
- If Funny Face and I get back together, you’d just be the fool – Vanessa mocks naysayers
- Vice President Bawumia has never held British or any other citizenship – Gideon Boako
- Life lounge with Edem Knight-Tay: Only because she is a woman
- I’ve been forced out over Partygate report – Boris Johnson
- 2023 AFCONQ: Chris Hughton replaces injured Alexander Djiku with Kasim Adams
- Media Coalition Against Galamsey frustrated at non-prosecution of Akonta Mining directors
- ISSER recommends adoption of electric vehicles to achieve a low-carbon transport sector
- Prof Frimpong Boateng is a role model for fighting ‘galamsey’, follow his examples – German Ambassador urges Ghanaians
- Special Prosecutor is guest on Newsfile on Saturday, June 10
- Unemployment in Ghana is highest among female youth – ISSER report reveals alarming disparities
- GrEEn project plants 2,000 trees in Ashanti and Western regions
- Asantehene leads tree planting in Kumasi as part of Green Ghana Day initiative
- Johnnie Walker Black Label and Red Label ‘step out of boxes’
- Sankalp West Africa Summit 2023 on entrepreneurship slated for June 12
- French Open 2023: Novak Djokovic through to final after Carlos Alcaraz injury
- Man Utd owners spoke to PSG chairman about Sheikh Jassim bin Hamad Al Thani’s bid