The Central Committee of the Convention People’s Party has nullified the parliamentary primary in the Ellembele constituency which elected Freddy Blay as the party’s parliamentary candidate for the constituency.
The committee has not assigned any reason for its decision.
Freddy Blay who is the First Deputy Speaker of Parliament was elected last week to contest the seat for the fourth time on the CPP’s ticket.
However speaking to Joy News, General Secretary of the CPP, Mr Ivor Greenstreet said the party does not recognise Mr. Blays re-election.
“What this exactly means is that the results of the parliamentary primaries which elected Mr Freddy Blay are null and void,” he stated.
He added “In accordance with that the Central Committee also wishes to make it clear that until the Central Committee approves of elected parliamentary candidates they cannot file with the Electoral Commission on the ticket of the Convention People’s Party.”
Party officials say a final decision is yet to be taken on possible sanctions against Mr Blay for allegedly endorsing the presidential candidate of the New Patriotic Party (NPP).
Mr Blay is also said to have suggested that his party should forget about winning the presidency and rather focus on winning more parliamentary seats.
The party has just three representatives in the legislature.
Listen to Ivor Greenstreet’s interview with Joy News
- I hate Manchester United because they made Sammy Kuffour cry – Gifty Oware-Mensah
- Corrupt officials are like termites… eating the very foundation of our democracy – Torgbe Afede XIV
- #OccupyJulorbiHouse: Abuse of power is extremely dangerous to our burgeoning democracy – UTAG
- Ghana’s public debt up ¢6.3bn within 2 months to reach ¢575.5bn in June 2023
- Produce the alleged recording of the said inducement – National Security challenges Barker-Vormawor
- Financial system resilient to risks from macroeconomic challenges in 2022 – BoG
- When our moral fundamentals are weak, the economy will explode
- CalBank denies MD exit
- Corruption is the deadliest disease to ever hit Ghana – Domelevo
- #OccupyJulorbiHouse protest: NMC, Amnesty International Ghana condemn Police brutality
- #OccupyJulorBiHouse: IGP Dampare just lost it, he’s just protecting ‘corrupt’ Akufo-Addo – Martin Kpebu
- Government must pay attention to issues plaguing creative arts industry – D-Black
- Without guarantor system, EC would’ve disenfranchised many eligible voters – Omane Boamah
- Nana Krobea Asante unhappy about Ghana’s decline in peace ranking
- OccupyGhana condemns arrests of peaceful demonstrators