Audio By Carbonatix
A top German court has ruled that it is not a criminal offence to cut off the life support of a dying person if that person has given their consent.
The Federal Court of Justice acquitted a lawyer who had advised the daughter of a comatose woman to cut off her feeding tube.
Earlier the patient had expressed her wish not to be kept alive artificially.
The lawyer appealed to the federal court after a lower court had given him a nine-month suspended sentence.
The mother, in her seventies, fell into a coma in 2002 and had been in a vegetative state for five years when her daughter removed the feeding tube.
After the daughter's action hospital staff reinserted a feeding tube, against the children's wishes, but the patient died of heart failure two weeks later.
Germany's Justice Minister, Sabine Leutheusser-Schnarrenberger, said the Karlsruhe federal court ruling brought clarity to cases involving terminally ill patients.
The ruling does not legalise active assisted suicide, which is punishable by up to five years in prison in Germany, the news website Spiegel Online reports.
The ruling applies to passively assisting death through the removal of artificial life support. It makes this legal if the patient has given clear consent.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Ronaldinho seeks 300th goal with comeback aged 46
1 hour -
Your voice, your future – Opare Addo opens National Youth Forum 2026
1 hour -
GRA pushes data-driven tax administration to boost revenue mobilisation
2 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Presby SHS, Bompata crushes Sacred Heart’s hopes of reaching one-eighth stage
2 hours -
Africa Golf Tourism Convention opens in South Africa to unlock opportunities
2 hours -
BOGISS alleged sexual assault: Dr Apaak demands protection for autism victim
2 hours -
GTEC trains tertiary officials on new affiliation quality assurance framework
2 hours -
Luv FM High School Debate: OKESS, OSASS silence K’Wey Gey and KASS in fierce round of 16
2 hours -
Alcaraz to play US Open after four months out
2 hours -
Even if all foreigners leave, South Africa’s problems will remain – Dr Yamson blames state failure
2 hours -
Mahama announces GH¢500m district housing programme; rollout to begin this year
2 hours -
Energy Committee yet to receive July 29 blackout report – Adomako-Mensah
2 hours -
Five in six Ghana health facilities fall short of basic sanitation standard – WHO/UNICEF
3 hours -
Mohammed Fuseini in talks over Troyes move from Union SG
3 hours -
‘Bear with the system’ – Energy Ministry says temporary power control room to be ready by September
3 hours