The Ministry of Foreign Affairs has dismissed reports that the country’s High Commissioner to Australia has been dismissed by President Akufo-Addo.
JoyNews understands that Ghanaians in Australia have been refused consular services because the Head of Mission, Dr. Joseph Nii Sai Coffie-Agoe is not at post.
This has left Ghanaians in Australia in the dark as to what exactly is happening at the mission in Canberra.
Appearing before the Public Accounts Committee on Friday, January 20, the Deputy Foreign Affairs Minister, Kwaku Ampratwum-Sarpong said the High Commissioner just retired and has not been sacked by the President.
He told the Committee that processes have commenced to appoint a new ambassador to Australia.
“No, he has not been sacked…He has retired and has returned to Ghana. We have an acting Head of Mission. So typically the next senior officer becomes the acting Head of Mission until a substantive head is appointed,” he responded to the question by the Chairman of the Committee, James Klutse Avedzi.
Meanwhile, the Ministry also disclosed that it expended an amount of GH¢7,967,886.57 on a project which was originally valued at GH¢1,435,728.99 due to the ill health of the contractor.
The contract for the rehabilitation of Adu Lodge Guest House was awarded to International Development Resources on March 15, 2007.
The Acting Chief Director of the Ministry, Ambassador Ramses Joseph Cleland said the project came to a grind in 2008 after it was awarded in 2007, but was later revisited in March 2019 and upon the request of the consultant, was re-valued to GH¢7,967,886.57 for the same contractor to execute.
- Akufo-Addo swears in 3 new members of Electoral Commission
- ECG disconnects power to Ho Airport, GRA over debt
- Fella Makafui reacts after Twitter user accuses her of ‘sleeping’ with Medikal’s ex-manager
- Overborrowing is one of Akufo-Addo’s biggest mistakes – Prof Adei
- ‘Western Togoland’: 5 secessionists handed 5 years in jail each
- Ludacris hangs out with Sarkodie in Ghana, fans speculate new music
- Ghana v Angola: Kingsley Schindler replaces injured Tariq Lamptey
- Cedi may record mixed performance to dollar this week
- GALLERY: Best pictures from Black Stars training at Accra Sports Stadium on Monday
- Putin says ties with Africa a priority to Moscow
- Former Accra Regional Hospital Medical Director files nomination for Garu
- AFCON 2023Q: Goalpost collapses and injures Wollacott in training
- Ugandan parliament passes bill to jail gay people
- Ghana’s economy is still afloat because of Alan Kyerematen’s vision – Buaben Asamoah
- Intimidation of journalists is on the rise – Kweku Andoh Awotwi
- I have already won Ayawaso West Wuogon NDC primaries – Fred Nuamah
- Playback: One-one-on with Managing Director of ECG on PM Express
- EC has become an annex of the NPP – Sammy Gyamfi
- If you move right, you don’t need 10 shows to be okay – Kelvyn Boy
- Akufo-Addo is packing EC with known NPP members – Kofi Adams
- 3 JoyNews journalists win big at Merck Foundation 2022 Media Recognition Awards
- I want to be President to build a new Ghana –Kwaku Kobeah
- Essence of marketing is creation of strong brands – Nsarkoh
- Christiana Awuni explains why ‘slay queens’ can’t quit having body enhancement surgeries
- Spend wisely, desist from expensive borrowing – GSE boss to government