Audio By Carbonatix
The National Democratic Congress (NDC) has revealed its intention to scrutinise several policies of the current government, should it win the upcoming December 7 election.
Among these is the Gold-for-Oil (G4O) programme, which NDC flagbearer John Mahama’s spokesperson on the economy, Isaac Adongo, has identified as a key area of concern.
Speaking on Joy News’ PM Express, Adongo accused the New Patriotic Party (NPP) flagbearer of deceiving Ghanaians by pledging to expand the G4O programme, despite the International Monetary Fund (IMF) advising the government to discontinue it.
“IMF says, transit from this arrangement, don’t do it again. Then you come and deceive us that you want to expand it,” Adongo remarked.
The G4O initiative was introduced by government as a strategic measure to stabilise fuel prices and reduce reliance on foreign oil markets.
The programme involves using gold purchased in cedis to secure oil imports, with the Bank of Ghana (BoG) supplying the acquired oil to the Bulk Oil Storage and Transportation Company (BOST) for distribution.
Despite its intended benefits, the programme has faced allegations of mismanagement and corruption, with critics pointing to a lack of transparency and questions over the awarding of contracts and the actual benefits achieved.
Dr Mahamudu Bawumia, who recently defended the G4O programme, argued that it has been crucial in preventing the collapse of Ghana’s economy.
He claimed that the policy has helped reduce fuel prices at the pumps and enabled the local purchase of ¢5 billion worth of gold, ensuring a stable supply of fuel commodities.
“Without the gold purchase program and the gold-for-oil programme, this economy would have collapsed,” Bawumia stated.
However, John Mahama has vowed to launch a thorough investigation into what he describes as the NPP government’s “opaque” Gold-for-Oil programme.
“We will investigate NPP’s opaque Gold for Oil programme,” Mahama said.
Echoing Mahama’s sentiments, Adongo added, “We are not only stopping it, we are investigating it. It is part of our manifesto promise. The Auditor-General says that they did not find any agreement covering the Gold for Oil arrangement.
"What it means is that you have people who just go to Bank of Ghana, take gold, they go to buy oil, whether they bring the oil or not we don’t know. We don’t have any guarantee that if something goes bad, we’ll get our money back.
"And you think that we should continue with this scam, this loot and share. We will investigate it. And there’s no way Gold for Oil will last one day.”
Latest Stories
-
Flexible exchange rate regime critical in absorbing external shocks – First Deputy Governor
46 seconds -
Toilets and changing rooms must be used on basis of biological sex, guidance confirms
3 minutes -
Emily in Paris to end after sixth season, says Netflix
8 minutes -
Angry crowd sets Ebola hospital tents on fire in DR Congo
23 minutes -
Russia and China condemn US over indictment of former Cuban leader
31 minutes -
Bank of Ghana reverts to previous Cash Reserve Ratio policy after scrapping it last year
34 minutes -
Ghana-eligible defender Beres Owusu signs permanent deal with Grazer AK
40 minutes -
A Super El Niño is coming: What does it mean for Ghana?
1 hour -
Driving Schools Association pushes for mandatory driver training to reduce road crashes
1 hour -
Climate change exists with or without humans — Youth advocate
2 hours -
Plastic waste driving flooding and climate concerns in Bamaahu — Youth Climate Reporter
2 hours -
This week on The Career Trail
2 hours -
My book was born out of university research – Mary Anane Awuku
2 hours -
“I stepped back from politics for my husband to continue the journey” – Sammi Awuku’s wife
2 hours -
Ghana will receive final IMF cash of US$318 million immediately after July board approval – Mission Chief
2 hours