Google has suspended “free speech” social network Parler from its Play Store over its failure to remove “egregious content”.
Parler styles itself as “unbiased” social media and has proved popular with people banned from Twitter.
But Google said the app had failed to remove posts inciting violence.
Apple has also warned Parler it will remove the app from its App Store if it does not comply with its content-moderation requirements.
On Parler, the app’s chief executive John Matze said: “We won’t cave to politically motivated companies and those authoritarians who hate free speech!”
Launched in 2018, Parler has proved particularly popular among supporters of US President Donald Trump and right-wing conservatives. Such groups have frequently accused Twitter and Facebook of unfairly censoring their views.
While Mr Trump himself is not a user, the platform already features several high-profile contributors following earlier bursts of growth in 2020.
Texas Senator Ted Cruz boasts 4.9 million followers on the platform, while Fox News host Sean Hannity has about seven million.
It briefly became the most-downloaded app in the United States after the US election, following a clampdown on the spread of election misinformation by Twitter and Facebook.
However, both Apple and Google have said the app fails to comply with content-moderation requirements.
In a statement, Google confirmed it had suspended Parler from its Play Store, saying: “Our longstanding policies require that apps displaying user-generated content have moderation policies and enforcement that removes egregious content like posts that incite violence.
“In light of this ongoing and urgent public safety threat, we are suspending the app’s listings from the Play Store until it addresses these issues.”
Apple has warned Parler it will be removed from the App Store on Saturday in a letter published by Buzzfeed News.
It said it had seen “accusations that the Parler app was used to plan, coordinate, and facilitate” the attacks on the US Capitol on 6 January.
Mr Matze said Parler had “no way to organise anything” and pointed out that Facebook groups and events had been used to organise action.
But Apple said: “Our investigation has found that Parler is not effectively moderating and removing content that encourages illegal activity and poses a serious risk to the health and safety of users in direct violation of your own terms of service.”
“We won’t distribute apps that present dangerous and harmful content.”
In a related development, Google has kicked Steve Bannon’s War Room podcast off YouTube, saying it had repeatedly violated the platform’s rules.
The ex-White House aide’s channel had more than 300,000 subscribers.
“In accordance with our strikes system, we have terminated Steve Bannon’s channel ‘War room’ and one associated channel for repeatedly violating our Community Guidelines,” Google said in a statement.
“Any channel posting new videos with misleading content that alleges widespread fraud or errors changed the outcome of the 2020 US Presidential election in violation of our policies will receive a strike, a penalty which temporarily restricts uploading or live-streaming. Channels that receive three strikes in the same 90-day period will be permanently removed from YouTube.”
The action was taken shortly after the channel posted an interview with Donald Trump’s personal lawyer Rudy Giuliani, in which he blamed the Democrats for the rioting on Capitol Hill on Wednesday.
One anti-misinformation group said the action was long overdue after “months of Steve Bannon calling for revolution and violence”.
“The truth is YouTube should have taken down Steve Bannon’s account a long time ago and they shouldn’t rely on the labour of extremism researchers to moderate the content on their platform,” said Madeline Peltz, Senior Researcher at Media Matters for America.
- Korle-Bu doctor poisons colleague’s water with HIV blood
- National security cloned #FixTheCountry protester’s mobile phone – Barker-Vormawor alleges
- #FixTheCountry: Convenors of protest disappointed in Supreme Court over hearing scheduled for June
- Blunt and Blay: Real reason why the Church won’t allow a Muslim student to fast in a ‘Mission School’
- Ghana loses $200m to untapped online forex trading market
- Prince Misizulu named next Zulu king amid family feud
- #FixTheCountry organisers exhibited ‘bad faith’ during National Security meeting – Godfred Dame
- 20 arrested in Atewa forest aren’t national security operatives – Oppong Nkrumah
- Akufo-Addo has not lived up to expectation – Kofi Bentil
- #FixTheCountry: How an IGP meet-up turned into a ‘Cabinet Meeting’, without the IGP – Convenor reveals
We tried to have children for about 10 years – Ebo Whyte’s wife recount
Teachers call for improved working conditions
Aguero misses penalty as Chelsea’s win makes Man City wait for title
Bayern celebrate winning ninth straight Bundesliga title with 6-0 victory
Atletico stay top after draw at Barca
It’ll take for government to get economy back on track – Kojo Oppong Nkrumah
IntelAfrique: Part 1 – Race to NPP flagbearership
Enimil Ashon: What is $25m to a cockroach!
Bawumia’s response to #FixTheCountry campaign not a solution to issues raised – Ofosu Kwakye
#FixTheCountry: How an IGP meet-up turned into a ‘Cabinet Meeting’, without the IGP – Convenor reveals
Vehicle towing cost to be borne by insurance industry – NIC Commissioner
#FixTheCountry campaigners are being prevented from crying after they’ve been punched in the gut – Kwakye Ofosu
May 9 stadium disaster: Persons With Disabilities join in 20th anniversary celebration
#FixTheCountry: Injunction obtained by police was in order – Attorney General
Asantehene marks 71st birthday with May 9 remembrance