President Nana Akufo-Addo has told Mobile Money agents that government will do whatever possible to protect them against robbery attacks.
President Akufo-Addo gave the assurance when the Mobile Money Agents Association petitioned him on the development at the Jubilee House.
He said the instances where operators are attacked and sometimes killed in the line of duty are not acceptable.
“I want to assure you that we will do whatever can be done to create an atmosphere of peace and stability for you to do your work.”
“The attacks and armed robberies are unacceptable. And it is our responsibility to remove such threats.”
The President, however, did not provide further information on how government intends to do this.
There have been several reports of attacks on mobile money vendors recently.
On December 9, 2021, robbers shot and killed two people after robbing a mobile money vendor of his money and phone at Sawla in the Savannah Region.
Another mobile money vendor at Sawla is also battling for his life after being shot by suspected armed robbers on March 26, 2022.
- Bob Menendez steps down as US Senate foreign relations chairman after indictment
- MohBad mourners teargassed at Nigeria’s Lekki toll gate after Lagos concert
- Ethiopian Prince Alemayehu’s lock of hair returned after 140 years in UK
- US senator Bob Menendez charged with bribery after wads of cash and gold bars found at home
- GPL 2023/24: Bofoakwa Tano score late to beat RTU at home
- Sudan war: Army chief Burhan claims he’s ready for peace talks
- Livestream: Newsfile discusses #OccupyJulorbiHouse protest and OSP-Cecilia saga
- Former Bantama MP, Okyem Aboagye dead
- Mahama Ayariga condemns killing of 9 in highway ambush at Pusiga
- Inaki Williams scores and assists as Athletic Bilbao beat Alaves
- #OccupyJulorbiHouse: BBC News journalist who was arrested by police speaks up
- Modern Floors products to be available in Northern Ghana soon – CEO
- I hate Manchester United because they made Sammy Kuffour cry – Gifty Oware-Mensah
- Corrupt officials are like termites… eating the very foundation of our democracy – Torgbe Afede XIV
- #OccupyJulorbiHouse: Abuse of power is extremely dangerous to our burgeoning democracy – UTAG