Audio By Carbonatix
President Akufo-Addo has announced that government will be renewing its free utility package for the poor and needy only for the three more months.
This, the President, said reflects government’s continuous dedication to shield Ghanaians from the harsh effects of the coronavirus.
Government in April last year announced its intention to absorb electricity and water tariffs to make up for lost income as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic and its attendant lockdown and restrictions.
However, following an easing of restrictions in the country and the free utility package reaching its time limit on December 31, 2020, government has decided to renew the package only for lifeline customers.
The President in his 21st address to the nation said, “With the continuing difficulties occasioned by the pandemic, I want to state that government intends to continue to support the most vulnerable in our society.
“Government will, thus, continue to pay the electricity bills for our nation’s one million active lifeline customers for the next three months, i.e. January, February and March.
“Additionally, all one million, five hundred thousand customers of the Ghana Water Company, whose consumption is not more than five cubic metres a month, will not pay any bills for the next three months, i.e. for the months of January, February and March.”
He however stated that the package will be reviewed at the end of March.
Latest Stories
-
GN Savings and Loans to reopen first branch in Elmina – Nduom
15 minutes -
Mr Eazi’s Zagadat Capital acquires 17.31 per cent stake in Intravenous Infusions PLC
1 hour -
Mahama, Macron push new chapter on reparatory justice
2 hours -
Ghana Institute of Architects cracks down on fake architects and illegal practice
2 hours -
Ghana to destroy over 4,000 illegal weapons in nationwide arms amnesty exercise
2 hours -
Headmen and Queen Mothers meet in Binde to promote lasting peace in Mamprugu Kingdom
3 hours -
Tension in Kasoa: Assembly pulls down shops for 24-hour economy project
4 hours -
FIFA World Cup: Iran moves camp from USA to Mexico, amid ongoing conflict
4 hours -
REGSEC halts Koforidua China Mall project over severe flooding
4 hours -
Tamale police arrest suspect with large quantities of drugs
5 hours -
BoG pushes for integrated African payment systems to boost trade — Dr Asiama
5 hours -
Two people shot in encounter with Secret Service near the White House
5 hours -
Red Cross volunteers die from suspected Ebola in DR Congo
5 hours -
US Secret Service investigates reports of shots near White House
5 hours -
ECG injects GH¢3m into power upgrades across 40 Accra communities
6 hours