Audio By Carbonatix
The staff of embattled Ghana Manganese Company (GMC) have criticised government’s handling of an audit report which led to the closure of the company last week.
Secretary to the Professional and Managerial Staff Union, Nana Owusu, said there was no point in demonising workers of the company when there were ways to tactfully resolve issues that emerged from the said audit report.
“It won’t have resulted in demonising the company and destroying its name both locally and internationally...some of our workers went to the bank for loans and they were denied because they were told the company was not in good standing,” he told Evans Mensah on Joy FM’s Top Story, Tuesday.
Nana Owusu said government missed the opportunity to do a job and rather “gave room for speculations.”
“The Minister had the option of letting work continue and then forming a committee to look into the matter but he rather took the other alternative to shut down the mine before forming the committee,” he added.
It was not surprising that the Minister’s was given a cold shoulder when he met the workers of the Nsuta-based company in the Western region, Tuesday.
The workers told him in the face their disapproval of his decision amidst claims that it was a grand scheme by government to give GMC to a private company.
Earlier, they had claimed that government, who made allegations of tax evasion rather owed the Nsuta-based company $20 million.
Mohammed Seeba, a branch union secretary told Joy News, “Indeed, the reopening of the mine was good for government…we had seriously planned to demonstrate against government what it did…the approach the Ministry used in the first place was totally wrong.
“…we are not lawyers but we know that when you audit someone, it is very important you serve that person with a report of what you have audited. It was totally wrong for you to sit and do a press conference to shut down the company without thinking about the over 1500 workers and their dependents,” one of the staffs said.
Mr Seeba said as a union, they are not interested in delving into politics when it comes to their work as they are only concerned with the interest of workers.
The Lands Minister was forced to respond to Mr Seeba’s concerns denying that there is any scheme by him or the President to take over the company for cronies.
Mr Asomah Cheremeh was emphatic that government was only enforcing the laws of the country and the shutdown was in the worker’s interest.
He disclosed that government has met with management to set up a 10-member committee to discuss and find lasting solutions to the challenge
The Minister said the audit revealed facts which were totally different from what management told government.
The workers said they will only await the Committee’s report before taking any further action. They also urged the media to push for the report to be made public once it is finished.
Latest Stories
-
Two people shot in encounter with Secret Service near the White House
16 minutes -
Red Cross volunteers die from suspected Ebola in DR Congo
28 minutes -
US Secret Service investigates reports of shots near White House
33 minutes -
ECG injects GH¢3m into power upgrades across 40 Accra communities
42 minutes -
‘Owadiah’ makes history: William Opare becomes first Ghanaian to break 45 seconds in 400m
49 minutes -
Scottish woman ‘was on a mission’ to find out who her Ghanaian husband was. Then she died
49 minutes -
Four Ada SHS students arrested after viral cutlass threat video sparks alarm
49 minutes -
Christopher Bonsu Baah win Staff Player of the Year award in debut season with Al Qadsiah
2 hours -
Laryea Kingston’s Uganda beat Ghana 8-7 on penalties to secure U-17 World Cup spot and extend Black Starlets’ absence to nine years
2 hours -
FIFA U17 World Cup playoffs: Uganda beat Black Starlets on penalties to qualify
2 hours -
2026 U17 WWCQ: Goalfest in Accra as Black Maidens hit Liberia for six
2 hours -
AyaSol initiative launched to support youth-led solar businesses in Ghana
3 hours -
Photos: e-Crime Bureau hosts inaugural Founder’s Opera Soirée on AI-driven cyber threats
3 hours -
World Corporate Golf Challenge Ghana officially launches 2026 season
3 hours -
Prof Gyampo Writes: Democracy, free speech and the survival of the Ghanaian polity
4 hours