Audio By Carbonatix
Military authorities in coup-prone Guinea-Bissau have scheduled presidential and legislative elections for 6 December, despite calls for a swifter transition to civilian rule.
Transitional President Horta N'Tam signed a decree on Wednesday after meeting with members of the National Transitional Council, military officials, government officials, and representatives of the electoral commission.
He told reporters the conditions for free and fair elections had been met.
Since seizing power from President Umaro Sissoco Embaló in November, Guinea-Bissau's coup leaders have been under pressure from the West African regional body, Ecowas, to organise elections within a short transitional timeframe.
The regional bloc had previously rejected the junta's proposed one-year timeline, suspended the country from its decision-making bodies, and threatened further sanctions.
It remains unclear how Ecowas will react to the election timetable now that it has been formally announced by the junta.
The November 2025 coup drew widespread criticism, with many challenging the military's decision to seize power on the eve of the official proclamation of presidential election results.
At the time, both President Embaló and his main challenger, Fernando Dias, claimed victory. The military said it intervened to thwart a plot to destabilise the politically fragile and unstable West African nation.

But some regional observers, including former Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan, argued the coup was staged.
Many now wait to discover the identities of those aspiring for the country's top job. The transitional charter, adopted shortly after the coup, already bars interim leader N'Tam and his prime minister from running.
But given the trend of coup leaders in West Africa consolidating power and extending their stay in office, observers will no doubt question whether Guinea-Bissau will be any exception.
Latest Stories
-
‘We are no longer healing, we are preparing to govern’ – Bawumia rallies Minority ahead of parliamentary session
28 seconds -
WHO warns Ebola outbreak in DR Congo and Uganda could worsen as suspected deaths hit 139
4 minutes -
24-Hour Economy Secretariat ‘in coma’ – Amin Adam claims
4 minutes -
Amin Adam highlights digital reforms under previous NPP administration
6 minutes -
Amin Adam calls for private sector-led 24-hour economy
7 minutes -
Amin Adam praises NPP digitalisation agenda under Bawumia
7 minutes -
Amin Adam describes 24-hour economy policy as ‘dead on arrival’
11 minutes -
Parliament must uphold ‘No one above the law’ principle in Asante Akyem North MP case if he’s guilty — ACEPA
14 minutes -
Thailand cuts visa-free stay period for more than 90 countries including UK
28 minutes -
BHOBU-North America raises over US$100k at fundraising dinner, launches US$1m endowment fund
30 minutes -
Bono Region: Teachers abandon Kobedi school over alleged curses after colleagues die
30 minutes -
Up to 350 jobs under threat at Meta in Ireland
36 minutes -
Ghana Shippers’ Authority defends new container charge reforms amid legal challenge
54 minutes -
NPP: Ejisu MP alleges victimization over support for Kennedy Agyapong
1 hour -
Infrastructure is the backbone of the economy — GCB Bank MD
1 hour