Audio By Carbonatix
SAFA in conjunction with Gun Free South Africa will be marching to Parliament to campaign for stricter gun control in the wake of Senzo Meyiwa's death.
SAFA officials Danny Jordaan and Norman Arendse, prominent human rights lawyer George Bizos and social justice activist Adele Kirsten all addressed the media at a press conference to announce a gun campaign to honour the late Meyiwa, who was gunned down by robbers in Vosloorus last month.
Chairman of the SAFA Legal Committee Norman Arendse says he is privileged to be mandated to head the campaign for the handing in of unlicensed firearms.
"We want everyone to rally behind the campaign. This is a matter that has to concern all of us. It'll be given shape by a committee formed by the SAFA NEC," said Arendse.
"We are unable today to announce any plans … but there will be a march to Parliament to highlight this issue. We're unable to announce the date of this march but it'll probably be after the next [Bafana] match."
READ: 'Meyiwa gun campaign needs amnesty'
Bizos said: "It usually takes a tragedy for people, a country, to say something needs to happen as a matter of urgency.
"It's not only about the death of the wonderful goalkeeper but also of the other 17 deaths that occurred [that day]. It's a matter that needs to concern every one of us, every citizen.
"It is not an easy piece of legislation to compile but I would suggest that the Minister of Police, Minister of Justice and the Presidency should consider the issues of gun amnesty.
"Government needs to give serious attention to giving amnesty to those who hand over their illegal firearms. There are so many unlawful guns possessed in our country that it has to be brought to the attention of those in Government.
"Can we arrange an amnesty where people can go hand in an unlicensed gun without questions?
"If we know of a relative that has a gun that is unlawfully in their possession, don't expect the person to surrender it without guarantee [of amnesty].
"I would like to say what is not a solution. There is a consensus among some that the solution is to bring back the death penalty. [But] the constitutional court held unanimously that the death penalty is not a greater deterent.
"I would appeal that we do not accept that the death penalty is a solution. Let us rather persuade families of people with illegal guns to give them up."
The campaign committee comprises people from a cross section of society and includes Adv Arendse, Adv Bizos, Jomo Sono, Kate O’Regan, Judge Yvonne Makgoro, Archbishop Thabo Makgoba, Thoko Mpumlwana (Gender Commission), Pregs Govender (SA Human Rights Commission) and Gun Free SA representative Kirsten, among others.
Latest Stories
-
Wontumi Conviction: 2 star witnesses placed under police protection amid death threats
6 minutes -
Srem-Sai reveals surge in death threats after Wontumi conviction
15 minutes -
GCB, Ecobank, 4 others are top tier banks in Ghana – PwC Banking Survey
23 minutes -
Today’s front pages: Tuesday, August 18, 2026
1 hour -
Banks’ sustainable success will be defined less by interest margins – PwC
2 hours -
CJ Baffor-Bonnie was part of ‘grand conspiracy to remove Torkornoo – Afenyo-Markin alleges
2 hours -
The GIPA Act: Resetting Ghana’s investment framework
3 hours -
GIPA secures investor leads at Invest Fest 2026
3 hours -
Ghana’s missing billions: What 16 years of Auditor-General reports show
3 hours -
Police disown viral flyer on AirPods, earphones use while driving
3 hours -
Stop using media to challenge judicial decisions – Thaddeus Sory to lawyers
3 hours -
The next generation expects more than degrees from universities
3 hours -
Ebenezer Dwomoh to stage fourth stand-up comedy special in Kumasi
3 hours -
Central Regional Minister urges traditional leaders to hold public officials accountable Â
3 hours -
Ada Traditional Council suspends four members for defying cancellation of 2026 Asafotufiami durbar
4 hours