Audio By Carbonatix
Haitian First Lady Martine Moïse spoke to the public on social media for the first time Saturday (July 10) after she was critically injured last week when her husband, President Jovenel Moïse, was assassinated, according to IBTimes.
"I am alive, thanks to God," Moise, who was flown out of the country for treatment, states in an audio message via Twitter, “...but I have lost my husband Jovenel."
The clip, spoken in Creole, was confirmed to AFP by Haiti’s Minister of Culture and Communications, according to the report. Moise also took some time to explain her final moments with her husband before he was assassinated Wednesday (July 7).
"In the blink of an eye, the mercenaries entered my home and riddled my husband with bullets ... without even giving him a chance to say a word," says Moise, “I am crying, it is true, but we cannot let the country lose its way."
Currently, Haiti officials arrested 17 of the 28 suspects accused of being involved in the assassination, including at least three who were murdered by police, the report says.
Now, due to the country’s chaotic status after the president’s assassination, international leaders want the country to quickly move forward with presidential and legislative elections, which were supposed to begin later this year, according to the report.
President Moïse was assassinated on the morning of July 7 when an armed collective approached his estate and opened fire on the couple. Though police currently have rounded up a majority of those suspected of being involved in the assassination, a motive has not yet been revealed.
Latest Stories
-
Ghana’s mining deaths fall sharply, but Chamber insists ‘three deaths are too many’
55 minutes -
Tatale Sanguli officials destroy expired food products, warn traders
1 hour -
Police arrest two watchmen over alleged defilement of 14-year-old student
1 hour -
The woman behind General Mosquito: Could Ghana be meeting its next First Lady?
1 hour -
Court remands man over alleged Labone bank robbery attempt
1 hour -
Supreme Court to rule today on challenge to legal vacation warrants
1 hour -
Tamale Metropolitan Assembly distributes 10,000 bags of fertiliser to farmers
1 hour -
TUSAAG suspends strike, resumes work after renewed talks with government
1 hour -
PIAC marks 15 years of oil revenue accountability and transparency
2 hours -
Adongo calls for non-political interference in $1.46bn Heritage Fund review
2 hours -
FDA records GH¢70m surplus in 2025 amid concerns over ageing lab equipment
2 hours -
Arise Ghana demands stronger commitment to end galamsey
2 hours -
96% of Ghanaian pensioners willing to work beyond retirement age – Study
2 hours -
Ghana gets nuclear power plant simulator
2 hours -
Temporary Akosombo power control facility to be ready by September – Energy Ministry
2 hours