Audio By Carbonatix
Heath Goldfields Ltd. has confirmed the deaths of three illegal miners who entered its Prestea concession in the Western Region.
The miners were trapped in an inactive underground section of the mine after using unauthorised routes to access restricted areas.
Their deaths come amid widespread reports in the Bogoso-Prestea enclave suggesting that as many as 11 illegal miners, commonly referred to as galamseyers, may have been trapped after parts of an abandoned mine caved in over the weekend.
In a statement issued on Wednesday, November 19, 2025, Heath Goldfields Ltd. expressed deep sorrow over the incident and extended condolences to the bereaved families and the Prestea community.
“Every loss of life, regardless of circumstance, is painful, and we stand with the affected families in grief and sympathy,” the company said.
The mining firm said it is fully cooperating with the Ghana Police Service, the Minerals Commission, and the National Disaster Management Organisation (NADMO) as investigations and recovery efforts continue. It commended the swift and professional response of emergency teams.
The affected mine was previously operated by FGR until its licence was revoked in February 2024. Although the concession remains inactive, illegal miners are believed to have accessed abandoned underground tunnels through restricted passages. Some residents claim the miners may have suffocated after thick smoke, believed to have come from a blast, filled the tunnel.
Heath Goldfields reaffirmed its commitment to maintaining rigorous safety and security standards across all its concessions.
“As a responsible mining company, Heath Goldfields Ltd. remains committed to the highest standards of safety… We continue to implement stringent security and safety protocols across all our concessions,” the statement added.
The company further assured stakeholders, including traditional authorities, regulators, partners, and residents, of its dedication to responsible mining and community engagement. Its community relations team is currently working with local leaders to support affected families and provide updates.
Latest Stories
-
Trump says Canada wants ‘benefits’ of being US state after trade talks collapse
1 hour -
TikTok to pay $400m to US in one of largest child privacy settlements
1 hour -
Asante Kotoko management doesn’t involve me in supporters mobilization – McBrown
1 hour -
Frustration builds in Indiana town struggling without power for 12 days
1 hour -
‘Jesus was accused; he kept quiet’ – Afenyo-Markin on Sammy Gyamfi allegation
2 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Accra High steals one-eighth ticket from Sunyani SHS in stunning final-round twist
2 hours -
Kejelcha breaks men’s half marathon world record by 29 seconds
2 hours -
Nkoko Nkitinkiti programme has failed – Afenyo-Markin claims
2 hours -
NDC yet to deliver key 2024 campaign promises – Afenyo-Markin
2 hours -
Adamus welcomes 12-month roadmap to revive mine, restore investor confidence
3 hours -
T-bills: Government records 162% oversubscription, interest rates slump
3 hours -
UPSA moves to turn student research into market-ready solutions
3 hours -
Presby SHS, Suhum honour late coordinator with dominant One-Eighth qualification
4 hours -
NDC Volta team tracks development projects across four districts
4 hours -
NSMQ 2026: St. Monica’s SHS snatch one-eighth ticket from Amenfiman SHS in dramatic showdown
4 hours