Audio By Carbonatix
Former workers of the Bogoso-Prestea Gold Mine are calling on the government and Heath Goldfields to immediately settle outstanding arrears, the 2023 bonus, and redundancy payments, citing unfair treatment and broken promises.
Speaking at a press conference in Prestea, a representative of the aggrieved workers said the situation of the mine and the welfare of redundant employees continue to deteriorate.
“Under the guise of operational restructuring and claiming to be placing the mine under care and maintenance, Heath Goldfields has disengaged a substantial number of employees. The human cause and suffering caused by this disengagement is undeniable,” the spokesperson said.
The former workers allege that the company’s current arrangement has failed to address their concerns, leaving many without the benefits and compensation previously agreed upon. They emphasised that prompt action is needed to prevent further hardship.
The call comes in the wake of a recent tragic incident at the mine.
Heath Goldfields Ltd. confirmed the deaths of three illegal miners who had entered its Prestea concession and became trapped in an inactive underground section.
READ ALSO: Heath Goldfields confirms death of three illegal miners at Prestea concession
The victims reportedly used unauthorised routes to access restricted areas. Initial reports suggested that up to 11 illegal miners—locally known as galamseyers—might have been trapped after parts of an abandoned mine caved in over the weekend.
In a statement issued on Wednesday, November 19, 2025, the company expressed deep sorrow and extended condolences to the families and the Prestea community.
The Bogoso-Prestea Mine, one of Ghana’s key gold mining sites, has faced operational challenges, ownership changes, and issues with illegal mining activities, which have raised ongoing concerns about safety, environmental impact, and the welfare of workers.
The former employees are now urging authorities to intervene, fulfil the agreements made with them, and ensure that their financial dues are cleared without further delay.
Latest Stories
-
Agri-Impact Group Founder Daniel Acquaye appointed Chairman of CSIR–Crops Research Institute board
33 minutes -
Gold Fields Ghana gifts Mehuntem Community with 40,000-litre water system
40 minutes -
King Charles’ brother, Andrew arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office as King says ‘law must take its course’
44 minutes -
CDD calls for independent anti-corruption commission in the one-year review of Mahama administration
49 minutes -
Ecobank rewards over 4,000 customers in ‘5-Star Enjoyment’ Promo grand finale in Kumasi
57 minutes -
Police arrest alleged drug kingpin in Bono Region narcotics operation
1 hour -
CDD flags bail and pre-trial detention controversies in assessment of Mahama’s one-year administration
1 hour -
Drivers’ union tours Kinbu-Tudu Street; commends Accra Mayor for traffic relief efforts
1 hour -
CDD flags violence, governance gaps and legal loopholes in assessment of one-year of Mahama administration
2 hours -
CDD warns of ‘backdoor’ criminal libel; slow pace on key accountability reforms
2 hours -
The Myth of Benevolence: Deconstructing the benefits of colonialism in Ghana
2 hours -
NAM 1 tells court BoG guided Menzgold operations
2 hours -
CDD raises red flag over GH₵20,000 gift threshold in ministers’ code
2 hours -
Deputy CEO of EPA rides to work, sparks debate on safety and clean transport
2 hours -
NSA and UNFPA unveil work readiness programme to train 150,000 graduates annually
2 hours
