Security agencies in the North East Region have deployed more personnel to ensure sanity in the Yagaba-Kubori constituency.
This comes on the back of rising tension in the area as five more persons were arrested in connection with the recent clash in the area on November 29.
Last Sunday’s clash between supporters of the New Patriotic Party (NPP) and the National Democratic Congress (NDC) left many injured.
Some NPP supporters allegedly shot into the vehicle of the incumbent Member of Parliament, Rauf Tanko during his campaign in one of the communities which was then met with reprisal attack from the NDC faction.
They are said to have stormed the residence of the NPP parliamentary candidate, Mustapha Usif, to vandalise his property.
Crime Officer for the region, Chief Supt. Justice Dugah confirmed that nine persons had been arrested with the latest five bringing the total number to 14 suspects.
But in the latest twist, JoyNews correspondent, Eliasu Tanko reported that the five suspects are believed to members of the NDC, a development that has left the party’s supporters infuriated.
Member of the NDC in the area, Ibrahim Abdul Rashid urged the police to beef up security to prevent the situation from escalating.
“I will urge that the state beefs up security in the area in order to ensure that the election is peaceful,” he said.
Eliasu Tanko also reports that security agencies holding a meeting with the aggrieved members who are accusing the security forces of bias.
- Social media users react to DSP Azugu’s alleged role in assault on Citi FM journalist
- ASEPA calls for the removal of GJA President, Affail Monney
- Don’t reduce our schools to ideological and religious fighting grounds – Akufo-Addo tells religious leaders
- Akufo-Addo and his NPP government are reducing Ghana to a police state – Haruna Iddrisu
- NSMQ 2021: Mfantsipim destroys Adisadel, University Practice and Assin State College to win Central Regional Championship
- We have not failed humanity by building prison infrastructure – Church of Pentecost
- Court adjourns Assin North MP’s case over hearing of applications
- Heavy downpour renders Damongo residents homeless
- CSIR wants recognition for research works
- Education Minister engages stakeholders of Christian Mission Schools over Wesley Girls’ brouhaha
Real Madrid win to keep title dream alive
GPL wrap: Kotoko extend gap at top after Olympics surrender lead
Liverpool boost top four hopes with win at Man Utd
Sancho and Haaland score doubles as Dortmund win German Cup
National Security Ministry to probe alleged assault on Citi FM journalists by security operatives
Government is committed to investing more in the youth – NYA Deputy CEO
NSMQ 2021: Tamale Islamic SHS denied ‘Eid-Trophy’ after Notre Dame SHS exited them at semis of Northern Zonal Championship
Don’t reduce our schools to ideological and religious fighting grounds – Akufo-Addo tells religious leaders
NSMQ 2021: Mfantsipim destroys Adisadel, University Practice and Assin State College to win Central Regional Championship
Full text: Speaker Alban Bagbin’s message on the occasion of Eid-ul-Fitr
Driver arraigned over expired insurance certificate
Motorists and commuters unhappy about bad condition of Tamale Industrial area-Nyohini road
Wonder Woman star faces criticism over post on Israel-Gaza violence
Nkwanta North residents fear possible re-emergence of guinea worm infestation
Disregard purported increase in transport fares – Road Transport Operators