Audio By Carbonatix
Vice President Dr Mahmudu Bawumia says the Volta secessionists claiming parts of the Region as Western Togoland are living in an imaginary world.
According to him, the history of Ghana does not support the ideas and claims of these individuals causing problems in the Volta Region.
Speaking on Ekosiisen on Asempa FM Wednesday, Dr Bawumia said the boundaries of Ghana were already determined when the people in Trans Volta Togoland in 1956 voted to be a part of the country before it gained independence in 1957.
“The area today they call Western Togoland must be a figment of their imagination. It does not exist, there is no legal basis for their claims,” he told the host of the show, OB.
He added that there is no debate on whether the region is a part of Ghana or not.
Dr Bawumia stated that the activities of these individuals are nothing but criminal attacks that need to be dealt with.
His comment comes after the Volta secessionist group in the early hours of Friday, September 25, blocked major entries into the Volta Region claiming independence as Western Togoland.
The secessionists also attacked the Aveyime and Mepe police stations in the North Tongu District of the Volta Region.
One member of the group is reported to have died in a fire exchange with the joint security team which had been deployed to restore calm.
On Saturday, the people also found another man dead. The police’s initial investigations revealed he may have been caught up in the shoot out.
Thirty-One people were arrested and flown to the offices of the Bureau of National Investigations (BNI) office in Accra for questioning into happenings in the region.
In the late hours of Monday, a group of armed men believed to be members of a Volta separatist group launched another attack on the State transport Company premises in Ho.
However, the separatist group Homeland Study Group Foundation (HSGF), who had declared independence for Western Togoland earlier this year, released a statement denying the attack at the STC premises.
In a post on Facebook to express their displeasure, the group accused external forces of perpetrating violence to smear their peaceful campaign.
“We said it time without numbers that the campaign for our rights of citizenship which is being questioned continuously by some section of Ghanaians will be without violence,” part of the post read.
Meanwhile, Dr Bawumia said that he is confident no part of Ghana will be handed over to the group.
He added that the government will not negotiate with the separatists adding that they have no basis for their fight.
Dr Bawumia revealed that the security agencies are working hard to intercept many of the plans these separatists will carry out.
“The agencies are doing a lot, it is not everything that we can say on air. I am very comfortable with their work. In fact, they have foiled things that could have been worse,” he added.
The Vice President urged Ghanaians to stand together to support the security agencies to help put a stop to the separatists’ activities.
Latest Stories
-
Many Canadians are boycotting the US, so this is where they’re travelling instead
3 minutes -
Mining communities must be treated as development partners and economy shareholders – Sammy Gyamfi
8 minutes -
Nearly 9 metric tonnes gold refined locally this year – Sammy Gyamfi
9 minutes -
The world’s best countries for expats in 2026
13 minutes -
Social clubs must become engines of national development – Ace Anan Ankomah
15 minutes -
Harvard appoints former BoG Governor Ernest Addison as senior research fellow
16 minutes -
Sammy Gyamfi warns youth exclusion could threaten mining’s social licence
17 minutes -
Mining communities must not be left without social amenities – Sammy Gyamfi
22 minutes -
National Mining Dialogue 2026: We must remain independent in reporting on mining — GJA President
29 minutes -
Social licence must be reimagined as a development compact with the youth – Sammy Gyamfi
31 minutes -
Give indigenous landowners control to curb irresponsible mining – Dr Nana Kwao Adarkwa
39 minutes -
Interior Minister urges religious leaders to protect Ghana’s tradition of tolerance
40 minutes -
In Pictures: Dignitaries, stakeholders gather for National Mining Dialogue 2026
47 minutes -
BoG inaugurates Financial Advisory Council to drive non-interest banking in Ghana
50 minutes -
Mineral right is a privilege, not an absolute right – Minerals Commission
50 minutes