Audio By Carbonatix
The Health Services Workers Union (HSWU) on Wednesday expressed dismay about the exclusion of public health sector workers from the 17 per cent salary adjustment agreed between government and organised labour in July.
A statement issued in Accra by the General Secretary of the HSWU, Mr Abu Kuntulo said since June, 2006, members of the union had not benefited from any salary increment until May 13, this year when a seven per cent pay adjustment was offered them.
The statement said the money was yet to be paid.
It said public sector workers however, received three consecutive salary adjustments spanning 2007 when they received 20 per cent, 15 per cent in 2008 and 17 per cent for 2009.
The statement said these anomalies were examined at the union’s two-day National Executive Council meeting in Tema.
In a communiqué issued after the meeting the union pointed out that whereas no adverse reports had been made against any of their members since June 2006, it was sad that their salary increments had been frozen by the government without any justification.
The communiqué indicated that the public health sector still played critical roles in the country’s health delivery system, hence its recognition as an essential service provider under sections 162 and 175 of the Labour Act , 2003 (Act 651).
It recalled that the implementation of the Health Sector Salary Scale -2 (HSS-2) in 2006, revealed so many discrepancies which were yet to be resolved.
“These discrepancies include irregularities, distortions, wrongful placements of grades and pay levels to the extent that some of their members had been made worse in terms of real values of their remuneration due to soaring inflationary trends.”
The union pointed out that in 2007 when the HSS-2 underwent major corrections, a lot of compromises and sacrifices were made by the body and the entire health workers leading to the surrendering of a whole year’s salary arrears as a goodwill gesture.
The agreement took into consideration the economic situation at the time, which was captured in a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU), signed in June 2006 between the government and the health workers group.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Academic who accused Jason Arday of plagiarism suspended by university
4 minutes -
Founder of collapsed Chinese property giant Evergrande sentenced to life in prison
15 minutes -
VIDEO: I don’t subscribe to Oyinbo life, Nigeria’s Elumelu schools lady for calling him by first name
18 minutes -
23rd Ghana International Book Fair launched to promote reading culture among young people
22 minutes -
NSMQ 2026: Amaniampong’s ‘Onipa’ starts new mission at St. Louis with one-eighth spot
31 minutes -
All you need to know about the new Road Traffic Regulations, 2026
38 minutes -
FET Auto introduces full GAC vehicle lineup to Ghanaian market
52 minutes -
Parliament must summon GRIDCo, Energy Minister over recurring blackouts – Adomako-Mensah
53 minutes -
Temporary control room leaves Ghana’s power system vulnerable — Energy Ministry
55 minutes -
Ghana’s NGOs should strengthen local government, not replace it
1 hour -
Former Liberian vice-president charged in drug-trafficking probe
1 hour -
Mahama targets 700 Saglemi housing units for completion by March 2027
1 hour -
Titus-Glover campaign team members injured in accident near Dambai
2 hours -
Eight projects win €2m Ghana grants for vaccine and drug research
2 hours -
Ghana steps up Ebola surveillance amid rising cases in Africa
2 hours