The 2022 VGMAs Artiste of the Year, KiDi, has said that it breaks his heart when people tie his successes in the famous music awards scheme to Richie, his manager, being on the board.
The Vodafone Ghana Music Awards (VGMAs) Artiste of the Year, born, Dennis Nana Dwamena, said he feels discredited for his hard work each time that statement is made.
“It’s crazy that every VGMAs night when I go on social media, I always see comments like, “as for KiDi [and co] they are winning because Richie is on the board. A lot of things don’t hurt me, but I feel like sometimes that statement hurts me more,” he said.
The ‘Touch it’ hitmaker, speaking on the Super Morning Show, on Monday, after he bagged five awards at the just-ended VGMAs, stressed that his successes are the results of hard work backed by a vigorous campaign for votes before the awards night.
“There’s a campaign and it’s not just me. Every member of the team comes on board to join the campaign. It’s like a flock in the church – evangelism- everyone is going out to preach the word about KiDi; that ‘KiDi’s been nominated so make sure you vote for him,” he said.
He, therefore, finds it surprising when his successes are linked to Richie being on the VGMAs board. KiDi refuted any claim to that effect, stressing that “first of all, it’s not true and secondly, it discredits my hard work as an artiste.
“[People who do that] are trying to say that all the hard work does not count because Richie is on the board, but sometimes I don’t even know who is on the board,” he said.
The musician, who failed to claim the ultimate spot in 2021 after his famous ‘I’ll be back’ phrase, returned to win his first-ever Artiste of the Year Award.
KiDi beat stiff competition from Black Sherif, King Promise, Kuami Eugene, Sarkodie, and Joe Mettle to emerge the winner.
In addition to this, he bagged the Reggae/Dancehall Song of the Year with the song ‘Touch It,’ the Vodafone Most Popular Song with the same song, the Album of the Year (The Golden Boy), and the Afrobeats Artiste of the Year.
- Is IMANI now dictating to us how to run a country? – Gabby Otchere-Darko fumes
- SOEs who fail to present audited financial accounts to be sanctioned – Bawumia
- Ghanaians will soon praise us for going to IMF – Dr Afriyie Akoto
- As it happened: Kotoko dominates as Djiku wins Player of the Year award at Ghana Football Awards
- Ghana will be ungovernable if any IMF conditionality freezes wage increment – Prof Gyampo
- Some Hajj pilgrims demand refund after being left stranded for hours
- 2022 Ghana Football Awards: Sadio Mane wins Best African International
- Food is expensive but there can never be food shortage – Agric Minister
- Photos: Akufo-Addo, Mahama and others mourn wife of late General Akuffo, Emily Akuffo
- Samson’s Take: This will collapse a government in a serious country II
Throw out Deloitte’s factually deficient claims – Dram Oil to High Court
‘Mahama stuck by Seth Terkper’ – Gabby Otchere-Darko defends Ofori-Atta amid resignation calls
2022 Ghana Football Awards: Full list of winners
Some have made it their life mission to frustrate me – Barker-Vormawor
Some Hajj pilgrims demand refund after being left stranded for hours
IMF bailout will take pressure off Akufo-Addo to focus on positive things – Gabby Otchere-Darko
Photos: Akufo-Addo, Mahama and others mourn wife of late General Akuffo, Emily Akuffo
Amanda Ofori is out with a new single titled ‘Abba’
Adele: Emotion and simplicity are enough at comeback Hyde Park gig
Ghana will be ungovernable if any IMF conditionality freezes wage increment – Prof Gyampo
Samson’s Take: This will collapse a government in a serious country II
Manchester United: Cristiano Ronaldo wants to leave club this summer
Rafael Nadal apologises after Wimbledon third-round win ends on testy note
2022 Ghana Football Awards: Sadio Mane wins Best African International
Volta Division 2 Middle League: Rangers FC head into final