Flagbearer aspirant of the National Democratic Congress (NDC), Ernest Kwaku Kobeah says he wants to be president to develop the country.
According to him, the country has not witnessed any significant progress since the inception of the 1992 Constitution.
This, he blames on bad leadership which he is determined to change.
“[I want to be president] to build a new Ghana because the country is still the same since the inception of our democracy,” he said on JoyNews’ The Pulse on Tuesday.
Mr. Kobeah explained that although the country has made progress in the area of freedom of speech and expression, it was time to extend it to the economic environment.
The flagbearer hopeful believes in creating more jobs in the country to end the current perception that migrating to other countries was the surest way to the great economic standing the Ghanaian economy cannot provide.
“There are no jobs, so I am here to create jobs so we can build our nation and move forward so we put an end to expatriation. So, I am here to build jobs so all these things change,” he told host, Blessed Sogah.
When asked if he was well known by the rank and file of the party, he said, “the current economic crisis does not need publicity but an individual who can do the work.”
Mr. Kobeah added that another reason for his determination to contest as flagbearer was to demystify the path and create more opportunities for young people with ideas and solutions to the country’s problems to contest for positions.
“When you look at the current landscape, few people are picking forms for MP [position] since there are a lot of young guys in there and I wish to change the notion and open the door for anyone who believes that they can change the status quo.
“My aim is to motivate genuine people to develop Ghana. We have only one Ghana, if you can make a change come forward since party leadership has given us [youth] that opportunity,” he added.
Highlighting some flagship programmes he will undertake should he become president, he said ” everyone who is 18 years will be recruited into the Ghana Armed Forces to serve for three years. The reason is I want to rekindle their love for the country.
” I will also support struggling families,” he said.
Early on in the day, March 21, Mr. Kobeah filed his nomination to contest the flagbearership position.
The flagbearer hopeful is the Director of City Expert Group Limited in the United Kingdom. The 45-year-old, hails from Asante Mampong in the Ashanti region.
- Supreme Court dismisses land ownership claim by Teshie family
- Ghana branded ambulance found in Dubai in viral video not for sale – National Ambulance Service
- Cattle and sheep easier to control than Nigerians – Buhari
- Independent Power Producers reject government bid to restructure $1.58bn debt
- Attorney General asks Speaker to declare Assin North seat vacant
- T-bills auction: Government fails to meet target again; interest rates still surging
- I didn’t insult you – Mahama responds to Nana Akomea
- Legon Cities drag Hearts of Oak into relegation dogfight
- Let’s unite to remove E-levy, Covid-19 levy – Ablakwa urges MPs
- IMF deal: Government to reduce public sector compensations by 0.5%
- BoG needs to pay equal attention to non-bank financial institutions as it does banks – Dr. Anane-Antwi
- BoG interventions to restore confidence in financial sector not enough – Dr. Atuahene
- Pita Limjaroenrat: Thai election upstart who vows to be different
- Uganda’s President Museveni approves tough new anti-gay law
- Beyoncé’s Renaissance tour: An intergalactic explosion of fun
- Group calls for help to save Keta Kɔlebu Market
- 10 signs you’re in a toxic relationship with your job
- If these 5 things are happening, your relationship is already over
- Men who smile at women are sexist, says Science
- The IMF programme has been designed with an extension in mind – Prof Bokpin
- IMF deal: There is a lot of pain; government must first calm the market – Prof Bokpin
- Government should have called a national meeting before announcing 0.5% compensation reduction -Labour expert
- Hohoe gets new ultra modern market, traders commend Municipal Assembly
- GIZ support: Over 400 young entrepreneurs receive startup tools to build and grow their business
- Otumfuo destools chief of Asante’s famous Antoa town