Audio By Carbonatix
Former Finance Minister, Seth Terkper, has asked government to make public the exact economic programme Ghana is opting for, from the International Monetary Fund (IMF).
Speaking on Joy FM's Super Morning Show, he stated that Ghanaians will be interested to know the details of the programme.
“...for instance, homegrown policies, what I expect is that government will answer to these in the programme. So they should publish the programme to know whether these things (homegrown policies) have been adjusted,” he said.
The comment follows government's decision to seek economic support from the Fund.
A statement signed by the Information Minister, Kojo Oppong Nkrumah, and dated July 1, 2022, indicated that there had already been a conversation between the IMF boss, Kristalina Georgieva and President Akufo-Addo. conveying government’s decision to engage the Fund.
“The President of the Republic, Nana Addo-Dankwa Akufo-Addo, has authorised Finance Minister, Ken Ofori-Atta, to commence formal engagements with the International Monetary Fund (IMF), inviting the Fund to support an economic programme put together by the Government of Ghana.”
Cabinet at a meeting on June 30, 2022, supported government’s decision to pursue an economic programme from the Fund.
The engagement with the IMF, the statement pointed out, will seek to provide a balance of payment support as part of a broader effort to quicken Ghana’s build back in the face of challenges induced by the COVID-19 pandemic and, recently, the Russian-Ukraine crisis.
Meanwhile, Information Minister, Kojo Oppong Nkrumah, says government is likely to receive about $2 billion from the International Monetary Fund (IMF) after deliberations on a specific support package are concluded.
He stated that considering Ghana’s quota and macroeconomic data, it is possible for the country to get that money to help shore up its reserves.
As a result, government may be able to meet its liquidity and debt service obligations and also boost domestic revenue measures.
Latest Stories
-
Ghana’s mining deaths fall sharply, but Chamber insists ‘three deaths are too many’
3 minutes -
Tatale Sanguli officials destroy expired food products, warn traders
9 minutes -
Police arrest two watchmen over alleged defilement of 14-year-old student
15 minutes -
The woman behind General Mosquito: Could Ghana be meeting its next First Lady?
16 minutes -
Court remands man over alleged Labone bank robbery attempt
20 minutes -
Supreme Court to rule today on challenge to legal vacation warrants
26 minutes -
Tamale Metropolitan Assembly distributes 10,000 bags of fertiliser to farmers
31 minutes -
TUSAAG suspends strike, resumes work after renewed talks with government
35 minutes -
PIAC marks 15 years of oil revenue accountability and transparency
42 minutes -
Adongo calls for non-political interference in $1.46bn Heritage Fund review
47 minutes -
FDA records GH¢70m surplus in 2025 amid concerns over ageing lab equipment
48 minutes -
Arise Ghana demands stronger commitment to end galamsey
50 minutes -
96% of Ghanaian pensioners willing to work beyond retirement age – Study
54 minutes -
Ghana gets nuclear power plant simulator
60 minutes -
Temporary Akosombo power control facility to be ready by September – Energy Ministry
1 hour