Audio By Carbonatix
Rugby player Israel Folau has reached a settlement with Rugby Australia (RA) over his controversial sacking for writing anti-gay posts on social media.
The former Wallabies star had been suing RA for A$14m (ÂŁ7.4m; $9.5m) after having his contract terminated in May.
Folau, a Christian, argued that the termination of his contract was a case of religious discrimination.
The parties had settled for a confidential amount, according to a joint statement on Wednesday.
Folau was sacked for saying "hell awaits" gay people, after previously being warned over his social media posts.
What did the two sides say?
In a statement from both parties, the 30-year-old full-back said he had not intended to harm or offend people when he uploaded the post.
"Mr Folau wants all Australians to know that he does not condone discrimination of any kind against any person on the grounds of their sexuality," the statement read.
RA said it did not "in any way" agree with the content of the post, adding inclusivity was "core" to the sport.
Both parties apologised for "any hurt or harm caused".
The settlement is an abrupt conclusion to a months-long dispute. Just last week, Folau had upped his demands for compensation.
Previously one of the nation's highest-paid athletes, he had sought both monetary compensation and a return to the national side.
The terms of the settlement have not been revealed. It is unknown if Folau will return to the Wallabies.
How significant was this fight?
The row had been closely followed in Australia, where it sparked national debate about free speech and discrimination.
Experts had suggested that the court case - if it had gone ahead - could have set a legal precedent for religious expression in Australian workplaces.
Folau had been widely supported by Christian lobby groups, but he has also been widely condemned for his anti-gay and anti-transgender comments.
Folau raised over A$2m in a crowd-funding campaign in June, saying donations had come from "tens of thousands of Australians".
An earlier fundraiser was shut down after the host platform, GoFundMe, said Folau's cause promoted discrimination.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Cocoa farmers in Ahondwo area appeal for clinic, support services
2 minutes -
Building collapse kills at least 9 people in Morocco’s Fez
3 minutes -
Congo police fire warning shots in burial dispute after suspected Ebola death
6 minutes -
Security officers involved in galamsey will face the law — Lands Ministry
8 minutes -
Keta MCE supports Keta FC with GH¢10,000 ahead of Middle LeagueÂ
8 minutes -
Livestream: JoyNews National Dialogue on Ghana’s youth and climate change
11 minutes -
Wontumi’s fate near as court gives final deadline for witnesses
11 minutes -
We have done no wrong – Group Ndoum says following court victory
14 minutes -
Dr. Gideon Boako warns banks may reject some forex deposits from next month
15 minutes -
Where typewriters still matter: The business keeping Kumasi’s old keyboard alive
15 minutes -
Growth in money supply slows down in April 2026 – BoG
25 minutes -
Ashaiman: Private developer demolishes traders properties to reclaim land
28 minutes -
“BoG failed to follow the appropriate steps before revocation of GN Savings and Loans’ licence”
35 minutes -
Ankaful Prison officers undergo Emergency Response Training to boost disaster preparedness
36 minutes -
Residents scramble for meat after train kills two cows at Avenor in Accra
37 minutes