Audio By Carbonatix
Public transport in two Australian states will be made free to incentivise people not to drive as fuel prices soar due to the war in the Middle East.
Victoria, home to Melbourne, has said it will have free travel throughout April, while Tasmania has said commuters will not need to pay from Monday until the end of June.
However, other state governments have so far declined to follow suit, with New South Wales (in which Sydney is located) indicating it was reserving funds to meet increased demand for public transport.
Australia is among a host of nations that have seen fuel prices increase sharply since the start of the US-Israel war with Iran and the effective closure of the Strait of Hormuz.
The near-total blockade of international shipping in the vital waterway, through which around 20% of the world's oil and natural gas flows, has led governments around the world to implement measures to conserve fuel.
Australia's Prime Minister Anthony Albanese sought to reassure motorists on Friday following reports of panic-buying and petrol stations running dry.
Victoria Premier Jacinta Allan announced on Saturday that trains, trams and buses in the state would be free for all from Tuesday, in a bid to ease pressure on petrol pumps.
"This won't solve every problem, but it's an immediate step to help Victorians right now," she said.
Meanwhile, the government of Tasmania - an island off the Australian mainland - announced people would be able to take its coaches, buses and ferries without charge for the coming few months.
"We know the rising cost of fuel is impacting the family budget, and that's why we have again taken strong and decisive action to protect Tasmanians," its Premier, Jeremy Rockliff, said.
Tasmania's transport minister also noted that paid-for school buses would be made free, saving those who use them A$20 (£10.40) a week.
But other Australian states have demurred from similar actions.
NSW transport minister John Graham told broadcasters his state was keeping its "powder dry" as "this situation will last more than a month".
South Australia said it was expanding the number of senior travel cards while absorbing higher fuel costs, and a spokesperson for Queensland pointed to the introduction of a flat 50-cent fare last February in comments to SBS News.
Similarly, Western Australia Premier Roger Cook said his state had already reduced fares. "Rick Astley was top of the charts when fares were this low in Western Australia back in the 80s," he said.

The average price of petrol in Australia had risen to A$2.38 a litre as of last Sunday, up from around A$2.09 when the war began a month ago, according to figures from the Australian Institute of Petroleum.
The Australian government says supply is not an issue - rather, sharp rises in the price of oil on the international market have had a knock-on effect on the price of fuels derived from it.
With only a trickle of cargo ships moving through the Strait of Hormuz without fear of being hit by Iran, there are concerns that a prolonged blockage could have a wider impact on the global economy.
These rising costs have already led several other governments to implement fuel-saving measures.
Shops, restaurants and cafes in Egypt were told to close early from Saturday as part of a raft of measures that also included non-essential workers being told to work from home one day a week and increasing public transport fares.
At the same time, the Ethiopian government told state-owned companies and public institutions to place non-essential staff on leave so they would not travel to work.
On Tuesday, the Philippines declared a national emergency, offering subsidies to transport drivers, reducing ferry services, and implementing a four-day workweek for civil servants.
Latest Stories
-
Raúl Castro indictment threatens to ignite war between US and Cuba
9 minutes -
2026 Africa Bitcoin Day marked in Accra
13 minutes -
US sanctions Tanzanian police official over alleged torture of human rights activists
15 minutes -
Borrowing in April hit highest level since Covid
19 minutes -
NCCE urges students, young people to lead fight against corruption
26 minutes -
AI used to fake evidence that ended Korean actor’s career, say police
26 minutes -
Swiss Armed Forces delegation engages GAF over peacekeeping cooperation at Burma Camp
32 minutes -
Mahama launches $300m World Bank-funded secondary school improvement programme
45 minutes -
Nato chief welcomes US sending 5,000 troops to Poland
47 minutes -
NIA pushes mandatory biometric verification as digital identity reforms expand
53 minutes -
Dress properly for visa interviews; it can influence approval – Ghana’s Ambassador to US urges
1 hour -
Mahama unveils plans for second phase of ‘Big Push’ road programme for 2027
1 hour -
President Mahama assures Savannah Region of imminent electrification works
1 hour -
National Service Authority open to strategic partnerships – Ruth Dela Seddoh
1 hour -
Mahama pledges to end double-track system by 2027 through expansion of technical and vocational education
1 hour