Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert has said he wants Israeli troops to leave Gaza “as quickly as possible”.
Mr Olmert was speaking at a news conference with European leaders after first Israel, then Hamas declared unilateral ceasefires in Gaza.
Some Israeli troops have already begun pulling out of the Gaza Strip, following a three-week offensive.
Meanwhile, Ismail Haniya, the top Hamas leader in Gaza, said the Palestinians had won a great victory over Israel.
“The enemy has failed to achieve its goals,” he said in a speech broadcast on Hamas’ Al-Aqsa TV.
Critical of tactics
Correspondents say the ceasefire in Gaza remains fragile.
Palestinian militants fired about 20 rockets over the border after the Israeli ceasefire announcement, and Israel responded with an air attack.
Surrounded by an array of European political leaders, some of whom were highly critical of Israel’s tactics in the conflict with Hamas, the Israeli prime minister said his country was not interested in staying in the Gaza Strip.
“We didn’t set out to control Gaza, we don’t want to remain in Gaza and we intend on leaving Gaza as quickly as possible,” he said.
The European leaders had travelled to Israel to lend their support to the ceasefires.
British Prime Minister Gordon Brown said the opening of the crossings into Gaza was important to “make possible a resumption of the talks that are necessary for a permanent peace”.
Earlier, Hamas said it would hold fire for a week to give Israel time to withdraw its forces from the Gaza Strip.
“Our demand is the withdrawal of the enemy forces from the Gaza Strip within a week, along with the opening of all the crossings for the entry of humanitarian aid, food and other necessities for our people in the Gaza Strip,” said Hamas’ deputy chief in Syria, Moussa Abou Marzouk
The move came hours after a unilateral Israeli ceasefire came into effect.
Meanwhile, the BBC’s Paul Wood entered northern Gaza via the Erez crossing as part of the first group of journalists to gain independent access to the Strip from Israel.
He says that in the town of Beit Lahiya he saw the first real destruction – streets churned up by Israeli heavy armour, overturned cars, a lake of raw sewage in the street and a mosque left as a charred ruin.
Hamas officials stopped the BBC from filming at one site where bodies were still being removed – a sign, perhaps, that there had been some kind of military target nearby, our correspondent says.
The BBC’s Bethany Bell, on the Israeli side of the border with Gaza, said Israeli helicopters and drones had been flying overhead and Israeli troops were on high alert on Sunday.
Many people are hoping that a ceasefire will last, but no-one on either side of the border will be surprised if the fighting starts up again, she adds.
At least 1,300 Palestinians, according to Palestinian sources, and 13 Israelis have been killed since Israel launched its offensive on 27 December.
Palestinian medical sources say at least 95 bodies have been pulled from the rubble since Israel halted its offensive.
The BBC’s Christian Fraser, in Rafah on the Gaza-Egypt border, says many of the 40,000 people who fled the town during the conflict, were returning to pick through the ruins of their homes on Sunday.
People are salvaging whatever they can, our correspondent says – even the broken bricks and corrugated iron are taken away on donkeys.
Hamas is still very much control in the town, our correspondent adds. One fighter told the BBC their determination and ability to fight was undiminished.
Earlier on Sunday, heads of state from across Europe travelled to Egypt for a summit with Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak, Palestinian Authority leader Mahmoud Abbas and UN chief Ban Ki-moon to try to shore up the ceasefire.
Speaking after the talks, UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said he would be sending a team to assess the immediate humanitarian needs of the people in Gaza.
“Within 10 days, I think we’ll be able to make an assessment report and we will issue a humanitarian urgent, a humanitarian flash appeal.”
- Travellers complain of theft at Bunso Junction off Accra-Kumasi highway
- Former NSMQ contestant, Francis Tetteh reported dead
- 13 reasons behind Akuapem Poloo’s sentencing
- Mahama must call sycophantic campaigners to order – Kunbuor
- NRSA petitions MTTD to investigate Cocobod vehicle that broke traffic regulations
- Kuami Eugene reacts after KiDi said his communication is poor
- Fire razes over 30 shops at Kumasi Central Market
- Kuami Eugene describes critics of his attire during Range Rover presentation as shallow
- We’re running into a credibility problem – Kunbour on unanswered calls for NDC’s election 2020 collated figures
- Stolen ring causes teenager’s finger to rot at Pantang
Tonto Dikeh urges others to sign petition to get Akuapem Poloo pardoned
Estate developer dragged to court for supplying untreated water
Court rejects bail application of business executive held over spousal murder
KMA to offer support to Kumasi Central market fire victims
I almost quit music – Amakye Dede
What I learned when my ex-boyfriend dumped me on Valentine’s Day
Bare with us concerning ‘dumsor’ timetable – GRIDCo
The moment society taught me what it meant to be a woman
Government is expanding TVET education to increase enrollment – Kumawu MP
Volta Region records 137 road crashes in first quarter of 2021
Joe Ghartey missed out on ministerial appointment due to his flagbearer ambition – Ben Ephson
Persistent cement price increases raise concerns among building construction players
Retail Feud: GUTA to close down undocumented foreign retail shops
Angela Merkel must beat the pandemic to save her legacy, time is running out
More than 11,800 benefit from malaria vaccination in AOB District