Audio By Carbonatix
Volta Regional Coordinator of Ghana School Feeding Programme (GSFP), Madam Rejoice Afi Agyagbo, says the Junior High School (JHS) students reported to have suffered from a food poisoning incident in the region have been treated and discharged.
Some 21 students from four JHSs in Ho were rushed to the Ho Municipal hospital on Thursday, after complaining of stomach pains and upset, dizziness and weakness.
It was suspected that the previous day's meal of plain rice, beans stew and egg, had caused the food poisoning.
Ho Municipal Director of Education, Mr Raphael Amenyo, said students from Holy Spirit Basic JHS, Royal Praise, New Seed International and Volta Rising Star JHS complained of stomach pains on Thursday, a day after when they had eaten the meal.
The GSFP Coordinator, who spoke to the Ghana News Agency on Friday after public uproar about the safety of their children appealed to school authorities to ensure that the free meals given them were eaten hot.
He said some of the affected students disclosed that they had eaten their meals nearly 6 hours after it had been served, noting that students who ate the same meals at the time it was served did not suffer the same fate as the others.
He debunked the assertion that the students had been admitted at the hospital, saying that they were "they were treated and discharged accordingly".
He said the Municipal Authorities met with the heads of JHSs and were particularly charged to supervise the "one hot meal a day" initiative to forestall its recurrence.
Mr Amenyo said a meeting with all the caterers involved in the initiative on Monday to chart a common front.
Latest Stories
-
Ghana to destroy over 4,000 illegal weapons in nationwide arms amnesty exercise
42 minutes -
FIFA World Cup: Iran moves camp from USA to Mexico, amid ongoing conflict
2 hours -
Tamale police arrest suspect with large quantities of drugs
3 hours -
BoG pushes for integrated African payment systems to boost trade — Dr Asiama
3 hours -
Two people shot in encounter with Secret Service near the White House
3 hours -
Red Cross volunteers die from suspected Ebola in DR Congo
4 hours -
US Secret Service investigates reports of shots near White House
4 hours -
ECG injects GH¢3m into power upgrades across 40 Accra communities
4 hours -
‘Owadiah’ makes history: William Opare becomes first Ghanaian to break 45 seconds in 400m
4 hours -
Scottish woman ‘was on a mission’ to find out who her Ghanaian husband was. Then she died
4 hours -
Four Ada SHS students arrested after viral cutlass threat video sparks alarm
4 hours -
Christopher Bonsu Baah win Staff Player of the Year award in debut season with Al Qadsiah
5 hours -
Laryea Kingston’s Uganda beat Ghana 8-7 on penalties to secure U-17 World Cup spot and extend Black Starlets’ absence to nine years
5 hours -
FIFA U17 World Cup playoffs: Uganda beat Black Starlets on penalties to qualify
5 hours -
GN Savings and Loans: Ndoum thanks Mahama after Court of Appeal victory
5 hours