Audio By Carbonatix
Johnson & Johnson (J&J) has offered to pay as much as $5.5bn (£4.14bn) to resolve tens of thousands of lawsuits alleging that its baby powder and other talcum-based products cause ovarian cancer.
The proposed landmark settlement aims to close a long-running legal battle that has weighed on the US healthcare giant for years.
J&J has denied that its talc-based products caused cancer and has changed the formula of its widely used baby powder.
Erik Haas, the firm's vice president of litigation, said on Monday that the allegations are "meritless" and that J&J was willing to settle in order to finally resolve the matter.
J&J said the settlement would cover about 69,000 cases, totalling most of the remaining talc-related claims. The firm will offer up to $3bn next year, with no additional payments due before 2028, it said.
The proposal must be accepted by legal firms representing 95% of the ovarian cancer claims in state and federal courts before it can be finalised, the J&J said.
Haas said in a statement that the company is confident that it would have "ultimately prevailed with further litigation" just as it has in the majority of cases heard in court to date.
He added that the proposed resolution "allows the company to put this matter behind it" and enable J&J to "remain focused on its mission to develop medicines and devices that save lives".
Lawsuits against J&J over its talc-based baby powder started as early as 2009.
Earlier in July, a federal court handed the firm a victory by questioning individual plaintiffs' ability to show that talc was the direct cause of their ovarian cancer.
Talc is a natural mineral made of magnesium, silicon, oxygen and hydrogen, known for its soapy feel and is often used in baby powder.
The company has faced lawsuits from consumers and their survivors who claim J&J's talc products caused cancer due to contamination with asbestos.
Talc is mined from the earth and is found in seams close to those of asbestos, which is a material known to cause cancer.
J&J has repeatedly denied the allegations and, in its latest announcement, said: "Studies show talc is safe, does not contain asbestos and does not cause cancer."
In 2022, J&J said it would stop making and selling its talc-based baby powder around the world.
The announcement came more than two years after it had ended sales of the product in the US.
"As part of a worldwide portfolio assessment, we have made the commercial decision to transition to an all-cornstarch-based baby powder portfolio," J&J said at the time.
Latest Stories
-
‘I’m not against enforcing the law’ – Archbishop Duncan-Williams defends call for prayer against galamsey, gold smuggling
34 seconds -
Tantalus or Triumph? Ghana and the Harvest of Economic Recovery
8 minutes -
Ghanaians have no idea how much foreigners make from galamsey – Archbishop Duncan-Williams
30 minutes -
Today’s front pages: Monday, August 17, 2026
32 minutes -
‘If you want to imprison me over my friendship with Bawumia, go ahead’ – Rev. Kusi Boateng
51 minutes -
Wontumi Out, COKA In: How NPP’s new Ashanti chairman differs from his predecessor
3 hours -
With unity, we will win 2028 election – Bawumia
3 hours -
‘The restoration begins’ – Okoe Boye pledges to rebuild NPP in Greater Accra
3 hours -
Ghana, Netherlands deepen cooperation to tackle illicit drug trade
3 hours -
One dead, eight injured in head-on crash on Kasoa–Winneba Road
3 hours -
Cedi stages strong recovery as dollar supply improves, demand eases
3 hours -
Duncan-Williams warns galamsey could endanger Ghana’s future generations
3 hours -
Fire ravages wooden structures at Tantra Hill’s Golden Door area
3 hours -
Petrol prices to drop today with diesel up in mixed pump price review
3 hours -
Okoe Boye will help NPP win more seats in Greater Accra – Bawumia
4 hours