Audio By Carbonatix
Jonathan Majors has been sentenced to one year of domestic violence counselling after being convicted last year of assaulting and harassing his ex-girlfriend, Grace Jabbari.
The actor must complete a 52-week, in-person domestic violence programming in Los Angeles, where he currently resides. There will be an opportunity in the future for the sessions to be partly virtual.
He must continue the mental health therapy he has been enrolled in and provide updates on his progress. The judge also placed a permanent order of protection against any contact between Jabbari and Majors. Any violations or criminal activity could result in him facing jail time.
The sentencing was delivered Monday by Judge Michael Gaffey in a lower Manhattan courtroom, almost four months after Majors was found guilty of two misdemeanour counts of harassment and assault against Jabbari.
After a two-week trial, he was set to be sentenced in January, but it was delayed to April due to now-dismissed motions filed by his legal team.
Majors arrived in court with his current girlfriend, actor Meagan Good. He shook hands and hugged his family and supporters on his side of the courtroom then took his seat between his lawyers, Priya Chaudhry and Seth Zuckerman.
Jabbari entered the room shortly after and delivered a victim impact statement, saying that Majors “is not sorry and has not accepted responsibility” for the assault.
“He will do this again. He will hurt another woman. This is a man who believes he’s above the law,” Jabbari said. “I had a career and life and body, all of which he’s damaged.”
She also called Chaudhry and Zuckerman’s tactics of placing the blame on her during the trial “abhorrent” and “horrific.”
“I will not rest until he’s not a danger. He refuses to acknowledge guilt and take responsibility. He remains a danger to all those around him. I’ve seen his anger and he doesn’t have control over it,” Jabbari said.
Judge Gaffey explained that Majors’ absence of criminal history and prior arrests contributed to his decision not to give the actor jail time. He could have faced up to a year in prison. Majors showed little reaction in the crowded courtroom and declined to give a statement.
Majors was arrested in March 2023 after he assaulted Jabbari in the backseat of a private vehicle. Majors denied that he assaulted Jabbari. He did not testify during the trial, but his defence team has repeatedly alleged that Jabbari, not Majors, was the aggressor in the vehicle that night.
Last month, Jabbari sued Majors for assault and defamation, with the latter allegation stemming from his “Good Morning America” interview. During the ABC sit-down, Majors claimed he “never laid [his] hands on a woman.” Jabbari also accused Majors of battery, intentional infliction of emotional distress and malicious prosecution.
In her lawsuit, Jabbari alleged Majors assaulted her other times prior to the March 2023 altercation, including incidents in London and Los Angeles.
The suit also reveals text messages from when they were a couple, in which Majors dissuaded Jabbari from seeking medical help and threatened to kill himself. Parts of these texts were used in the December trial, though they were only allowed as background information and not evidence in the case.
Shortly after the guilty verdict, Majors was fired from Disney’s Marvel Cinematic Universe, in which he played the new villain Kang the Conqueror, and his Hollywood career appears to be in limbo.
He was previously dropped by his management company, Entertainment 360, and publicity firm, the Lede Company. During the sentencing, Chaudhry said that Majors is “optimistic” he’ll work in the film industry “soon.”
Latest Stories
-
8 suspects arrested in killing of queen mother at Atebubu
57 seconds -
Raúl Castro indictment threatens to ignite war between US and Cuba
18 minutes -
2026 Africa Bitcoin Day marked in Accra
21 minutes -
US sanctions Tanzanian police official over alleged torture of human rights activists
23 minutes -
Borrowing in April hit highest level since Covid
28 minutes -
NCCE urges students, young people to lead fight against corruption
34 minutes -
AI used to fake evidence that ended Korean actor’s career, say police
35 minutes -
Swiss Armed Forces delegation engages GAF over peacekeeping cooperation at Burma Camp
41 minutes -
Mahama launches $300m World Bank-funded secondary school improvement programme
53 minutes -
Nato chief welcomes US sending 5,000 troops to Poland
56 minutes -
NIA pushes mandatory biometric verification as digital identity reforms expand
1 hour -
Dress properly for visa interviews; it can influence approval – Ghana’s Ambassador to US urges
1 hour -
Mahama unveils plans for second phase of ‘Big Push’ road programme for 2027
1 hour -
President Mahama assures Savannah Region of imminent electrification works
1 hour -
National Service Authority open to strategic partnerships – Ruth Dela Seddoh
1 hour