Audio By Carbonatix
A medical consultant has called for the government to move quickly to get a law passed that would allow for harvesting of human organs and tissues for transplant.
Dr. Seth Lartey, Tissue and Organ Transplant Consultant at the Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital (KATH), said this had become necessary given the sharp rise of cases of internal organs failure seen at the facilities.
Organs including the heart, kidney, liver, lungs, pancreas, intestine and thymus often get damaged but the doctors are unable to help the situation because of the absence of a legislation, permitting the harvest of these vital organs to save the patients.
He was speaking at a meeting held with members of the Parliamentary Select Committee on Health at KATH – the nation’s second largest referral facility in Kumasi.

Dr. Seth Lartey
The Committee, chaired by Dr. Kwabena Twum-Nuamah, Berekum East Member of Parliament (MP), was on a three-day visit to the Ashanti Region to learn at first hand obstacles to quality healthcare services and how to overcome these.
Dr. Lartey said it should be made possible for patients requiring tissue and organs transplant to be treated in the country to save cost.
He added that with the appropriate legal regime, they would not need to be sent outside for treatment.
He said the nation should go the extra mile to make sure that the less privileged people who suffered from any organ failure had access to affordable care.
The Consultant suggested the establishment of a special insurance scheme for patients put on dialysis.
That, he indicated, was important to reduce the financial burden on such patients.
The Committee identified inadequate funding as the major headache of the facilities and noted that this had been compounded by delays in the reimbursement of the health insurance claims.
Dr. Twum-Nuamah applauded the health professionals for the excellent job they were doing to bring quality health care to the people under sometimes difficult conditions.
He gave the assurance that his Committee would engage the Health Ministry to get some abandoned projects re-started and the facilities supplied with vital equipment and logistics.
Latest Stories
-
NSMQ 2026: Tears of relief as Labone SHS survive Notre Dame Sem. in thriller to secure one-eighth spot
1 minute -
Onga Tomato Mix unveils Diana Hamilton as Brand Ambassador
9 minutes -
NSMQ 2026: Winneba Secondary School holds off Fijai SHS to reach one-eighth stage
18 minutes -
KNUST assures staff, public over statute review process amid UTAG concerns
27 minutes -
CLOGSAG Executive Secretary Dr Isaac Bampoe Addo passes on
29 minutes -
Take post-flood disinfection seriously to prevent disease outbreaks – Environmental Health Officer backs Zoomlion
40 minutes -
Zoomlion launches fumigation exercise across 14 MMDAs in Western Region
48 minutes -
UTAG-KNUST votes to retain elections for Pro-Vice Chancellors and Deans
52 minutes -
Newsfile to discuss nationwide blackouts, GoldBod controversy, galamsey and water quality
56 minutes -
Adamus must settle GRA, MIIF and financial institutions liabilities under new turnaround roadmap
1 hour -
Big Chef Season Five returns with Gari Fotor Challenge this Sunday
1 hour -
Gov’t to form 6-member team to supervise Adamus mine turnaround
2 hours -
Wontumi is not Mandela, NPP must be realistic about chairmanship bid – Musa Danquah
2 hours -
Government gives Adamus Resources reprieve, orders 12-month turnaround plan
2 hours -
Road Ministry to report two people to EOCO for influencing property owners affected by road constructions
2 hours