Audio By Carbonatix
The Kennedy Center in Washington DC will be closed for a two-year renovation beginning in July, President Donald Trump has announced.
In a post on Truth Social on Sunday, Trump said the centre would close on 4 July this year "in honour of the 250th Anniversary of our Country".
The move follows several artists cancelling performances at the storied institution after it was recently renamed as the Trump Kennedy Center.
Shortly after taking office, the president fired several of the centre's board members and replaced them with allies, who then voted to make Trump chairman of the board.
The new board renamed the institution the Donald J Trump and the John F Kennedy Memorial Center for the Performing Arts in December. New signage appeared on the building's exterior the following day.
Several musical acts, including Steven Schwartz, the composer of the musical Wicked, and the group Doug Varone and Dancers, cancelled performances at the centre in the following weeks because of the Trump name change.
On Thursday, the venue hosted a premiere screening of a documentary about First Lady Melania Trump.
Trump has said there would be a "scheduled grand reopening" for the facility, and that the renovations had already been financed.
"I have determined that The Trump Kennedy Centre, if temporarily closed for construction, revitalisation, and complete rebuilding, can be, without question, the finest performing arts facility of its kind, anywhere in the world," he wrote on Truth Social.
"In other words, if we don't close, the quality of construction will not be nearly as good, and the time to completion, because of interruptions with Audiences from the many events using the facility, will be much longer."

Trump had lambasted the physical state of the centre and worked with Congress to allocate more than $250m (£182m) to rebuild it, one of many renovation projects he has taken on in his second term.
Some US lawmakers and legal scholars have argued that because the centre was named in a 1964 law, Congress must have a say on any name change.
Last December Democratic US Representative Joyce Beatty filed a lawsuit seeking to remove Trump's name for that reason.
Some members of President John F Kennedy's family too have denounced the move. The centre was named in Kennedy's memory shortly after his assassination.
Joe Kennedy III, a former US House of Representatives member and grandnephew of the late president, said the venue was "a living memorial to a fallen president and named for President Kennedy by federal law".
Latest Stories
-
Africa must become a destination for investment, not aid — Deputy Finance Minister
27 minutes -
Regulation by invoicing: Systemic flaws in NITA’s licensing push and threat to Ghana’s digital trust
30 minutes -
‘I’m sick and tired of this country’ – Ghanaian in South Africa pour out frustrations at meeting with Foreign Affairs Minister
55 minutes -
‘Mum’s dementia means I live in the moment with her’
1 hour -
Energy Commission champions Clean Energy Transition
1 hour -
International Day of the Boy Child marked in Accra
2 hours -
BoG losses will not recur at last year’s scale — Governor Asiama assures
2 hours -
Without trust, digital finance is just technology – BoG Governor
2 hours -
Mental disorders increase by 95.5% globally since 1990 – Study
2 hours -
See the areas that will be affected by ECG’s planned maintenance on May 25
2 hours -
Fire destroys six-bedroom house in Koforidua
4 hours -
Government deploys armoured buses disguised as VIP, STC and OA coaches to fight highway robberies
4 hours -
GES director raises alarm over 300 teacher deficits in the Asutifi North District
4 hours -
Ghana’s Isaac Nii Ayetey Tagoe wins bronze at Oran World Para Powerlifting 2026
6 hours -
FHU alumnus launches medical textbook
6 hours