President Akufo-Addo has given the strongest indication that the Komenda Sugar Factory will start operations in April this year.
According to him, civil works being undertaken by the Indian investors will come to an end in March; paving the way for the production of sugar to begin.
He made this revelation when he received delegates from the Komenda Traditional Authority at the Jubilee House on Wednesday.
The President stressed that his government is determined to get the factory running.
“This Factory has been a topical issue. Some people claimed they had done it but when we went to check, it hadn’t been done. But as you can see, the NPP government has done the needful, and by April everything would have fallen in place for the factory to operate,” he said on Wednesday.
President Akufo-Addo is optimistic the factory will generate the needed jobs for residents in the regions and sugar cane growers.
The Komenda Sugar Factory was one of the major political issues in the Central Region during the 2016 and 2020 elections.
However, the Factory continues to remain a big albatross on the neck of government.
The $35 million factory, built from an Indian Exim Bank facility, has not worked since its commissioning in 2016.
The factory was revamped to revive the local production of sugar, thereby reducing the importation of the commodity.
But after the commissioning of the factory nearly six years ago, the factory has failed to produce sugar and is currently rusting away.
This has dashed the hopes of residents who were eager to get jobs.
With President Akufo-Addo’s declaration of an operating factory in April 2022, residents and many unemployed youth in the country can see light at the end of the tunnel.
- Arthur Kobina Kennedy: The people’s movement on the street
- Ghana to leverage on funerals to boost local tourism – Tourism Minister
- Tory Lanez ‘scared for his life’ in prison after Megan Thee Stallion shooting
- Samples from ‘most dangerous known rock in the Solar System’ brought to Earth
- Writers Guild, studios reach tentative deal, potentially ending monthslong strike that ground Hollywood to a halt
- Russian man imprisoned 22 years ago escapes on the day of his release
- 8 people describe the exact moment they knew they found someone worth the risk
- Bankye ampesi reduces risk of colon cancer
- Stop romanticizing the past so you can enjoy your life
- Woman who held 16 jobs simultaneously for three years never actually did any work
- The 5 potential stages of a breakup, according to relationship experts
- Osei Kyei-Mensah-Bonsu mourns late former MP for Bantama
- What is love bombing and how is it different from falling in love?
- Are You Dealing With a Narcissist or Just a Selfish Jerk?
- Man gored to death by bull at Spanish festival