Audio By Carbonatix
The Ministry of Lands and Natural Resources has announced plans to revoke the licences of 50 large-scale mining companies found to have breached key regulatory requirements.
The decision follows a rigorous review of large-scale mining operations currently being conducted by a special committee established by the Ministry.
In a statement posted on the Ministry’s official Facebook page on Tuesday, December 23, the committee said the first batch of affected companies had been identified after preliminary findings revealed serious compliance failures.
These include companies holding mining leases without valid operating permits from the Environmental Protection Authority (EPA) and the Water Resources Commission (WRC).
The review committee, acting at the direction of the Minister for Lands and Natural Resources, Emmanuel Armah-Kofi Buah (MP), said the revocations would proceed in line with existing laws and regulations.
“The Ministry will not hesitate to apply the full rigour of the law to sanitise the sector and ensure that mining activities are carried out responsibly,” the statement said.
According to the Ministry, the action forms part of a broader, multi-pronged government strategy to address illegalities and regulatory abuses in the mining sector.
It added that further announcements would be made as the review continues, stressing that compliance with environmental and water-use regulations remains non-negotiable for all mining operators.
Latest Stories
-
FIFA World Cup: Iran moves camp from USA to Mexico, amid ongoing conflict
1 hour -
Tamale police arrest suspect with large quantities of drugs
2 hours -
BoG pushes for integrated African payment systems to boost trade — Dr Asiama
2 hours -
Two people shot in encounter with Secret Service near the White House
2 hours -
Red Cross volunteers die from suspected Ebola in DR Congo
2 hours -
US Secret Service investigates reports of shots near White House
3 hours -
ECG injects GH¢3m into power upgrades across 40 Accra communities
3 hours -
‘Owadiah’ makes history: William Opare becomes first Ghanaian to break 45 seconds in 400m
3 hours -
Scottish woman ‘was on a mission’ to find out who her Ghanaian husband was. Then she died
3 hours -
Four Ada SHS students arrested after viral cutlass threat video sparks alarm
3 hours -
Christopher Bonsu Baah win Staff Player of the Year award in debut season with Al Qadsiah
4 hours -
Laryea Kingston’s Uganda beat Ghana 8-7 on penalties to secure U-17 World Cup spot and extend Black Starlets’ absence to nine years
4 hours -
FIFA U17 World Cup playoffs: Uganda beat Black Starlets on penalties to qualify
4 hours -
GN Savings and Loans: Ndoum thanks Mahama after Court of Appeal victory
4 hours -
2026 U17 WWCQ: Goalfest in Accra as Black Maidens hit Liberia for six
4 hours