The Ghana Health Service has confirmed 12 additional cases of Lassa fever in the country.
This follows an initial two cases reported in Accra on February 26.
The 12 additional cases were discovered following the institution of control measures including contact tracing testing of all those who had been in close contact with the initial two confirmed cases.
This brings to 14 the total number of confirmed cases for this outbreak. One death has so far been recorded.
According to the GHS, “all 13 cases are alive and in stable condition and are being managed in designated health facilities. A total of 97 contacts have been identified and efforts are underway to identify more contacts.”
Meanwhile, “A probable case has been reported from Central Region and contacts are being identified and monitored while we await confirmation. Psychological support is being provided for all cases and contacts.”
The GHS took the opportunity to remind the public to follow preventive measures in order to avoid falling victim to the virus.
1. Avoid contact with rodents (mice, rats, etc).
2. Ensure good environmental hygiene and institute measures such as storing grain and other foodstuffs in rodent-proof containers, disposing of garbage far from the home, maintaining clean households and keeping cats to prevent rodent infestation.
3. Avoid contact with blood and body fluids while caring for sick persons.
“The Ghana Health Service wishes to remind the public of the need to report to the nearest health facility when unwell. We want to assure the public that, we will continue to work with our partners to ensure the safety of the entire population,” it concluded.
- 50 people injured after accident involving 4 cars on Kasoa-Weija road
- Agya Koo’s new plush mansion which got social media talking
- Encourage acquisition, mergers of banks and NBFIs if needed – IMF tells government
- Nogokpo saga: Perez Chapel Bishop declares week-long fast over controversy
- Assin North by-election: EC denies NDC’s accusation of inserting candidate’s name in voters register
- June 4 uprising occurred for far less than what is happening in Ghana today – Mahama
- Two police officers injured as ghetto boys escape with handcuffs during arrest at Gomoa Nyanyano
- Agotime Ziope DCE attacks NPP’s Dzifa Kaledzi; leaves her with an eye injury
- ‘I can’t believe I am here’ – Tariq Lamptey on his first start at the World Cup for Ghana
- 2023 AFCONQ: Asamoah Gyan expresses ‘worry’ about Black Stars squad for Madagascar clash
- Chris Hughton calls up Ransford-Yeboah Königsdörffer to replace injured Inaki Williams
- Socialite Van Calebs criticises popular comedians for offensive jokes
- Tottenham reach agreement with Celtic boss Ange Postecoglou to become their new manager
- Lay down your arms, we are one people -Yagbonwura appeals to factions in Lukula conflict
- Saudi Arabia’s PIF takes over Al-Ittihad, Al-Nassr, Al-Hilal and Al-Ahli
- District Court grants bail to 21 suspects in Lukula conflict
- Yaw Nsarkoh: Reliving 21 years ago armed robbery attack on me and my family
- Adom TV launches new season of ‘Adepam’ competition
- Supreme Court’s reasoning for kicking Gyakye Quayson out of Parliament strange – Sammy Gyamfi
- Ahafo Police begin investigation into mysterious death of NPP polling station chairman
- Kwabena Donkor hits back at World Bank Country Director over his claims on PPAs signed under NDC
- Ghana Association of Writers pays tribute to Ama Ata Aidoo
- Ghanaian student shines at George C. Marshall High School Awards in the USA
- There are no record labels in Ghana – Empress Gifty
- Read Supreme Court’s full judgement in Gyakye Quayson case